scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
can someone advise me how to correctly program talk group id's on a pro 164 radio shack scanner ? i have set up frequencies to channels onto a bank/ but i want to scan a certain talkgroup versus all of the programmed ones.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com!!! The question you ask is like asking how to bake a cake. I'd start by reading the manual. I know that the manual which comes with the scanner is not the best, but there others available online. Check here for more information.

While it certainly is possible to program these scanners by hand, it is not something for the non-techie or faint-of-heart. I'd suggest getting yourself the programming cable (RS 20-047) and some software. I use WIN97 (www.starrsoft.com) to program mine (the PSR-300 is the same scanner as the PRO-164).

i have set up frequencies to channels onto a bank
I assume you mean that you have programmed the CONTROL CHANNEL frequencies. That is if the system you are programming is Motorola. If the system is EDACS or LTR, then you'd need to program them all. It would help us if you told us what system you are programming, and perhaps provided a link to it in our DB.

but i want to scan a certain talkgroup versus all of the programmed ones
There are no "programmed talkgroups" unless you programmed them. Do note that you need to set the bank to CLOSED so that it only picks up the programmed TGs. Go to the bank, press FUNC . to toggle between open and closed.

SCPD

QRT
thanks for that info, i am trying to scan motorola type 2 frequencies. the odd thing is i was previously able to program the scanner to my liking. i manually programmed 15 frequencies along with the control frequency onto bank 1 on individual channels. and i have manually entered the desired talkgroup id's onto the bank 1 memory . im trying to scan the talkgroups i manually entered in the bank 1 tgid memory. issue is when scanning all i see is the id number , frequency, channel numbers with VC ontop. no sound - i was prev able to pause the certain talkgroup id and lock onto to it ? any suggestions or must i purchase software and cable to accomplish this , thanks -

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It sounds to me like the system you are trying to monitor may have REBANDED. If so, you'll need to tell the scanner that. Motorola type II systems have different "band plans" depending on the system. When the wrong band plan is selected, the scanner gets lost trying to find the voice channel (VC).

Can you provide a link to the system in our DB? What system, city, county, state?

SCPD

QRT
hello again, i am located in el paso, texas ( el paso county ). im sorry, link yo your system in db ? can you explain please ? if the system has rebanded, how must i tell my scanner this ? i am trying to scan my local fire,ems and hospital talk groups. all was working fine till 1 week ago, i lost scanning capability on my selected talkgroups.now im lost, any info will be appreciated -

DickH

hello again, i am located in el paso, texas ( el paso county ). im sorry, link yo your system in db ? can you explain please ? if the system has rebanded, how must i tell my scanner this ? i am trying to scan my local fire,ems and hospital talk groups. all was working fine till 1 week ago, i lost scanning capability on my selected talkgroups.now im lost, any info will be appreciated -

You only need the 4 control channel freqs. Talk groups are not affected by re-banding.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
hello again, i am located in el paso, texas ( el paso county ). im sorry, link yo your system in db ? can you explain please ?
Here is a link to El Paso County.

I see this message there: "All of the El Paso County frequencies (county fire, Sheriff, VFDs) will be moving over to the new El Paso EDACS ProVoice system. The frequencies will serve as simulcast from the new system."

That tells me the system is EDACS. If the scanner can monitor this type of system, you will need to program ALL of the frequencies, each in the correct channel position within a bank of the scanner. Here is a link to that system.

if the system has rebanded, how must i tell my scanner this ? i am trying to scan my local fire,ems and hospital talk groups. all was working fine till 1 week ago, i lost scanning capability on my selected talkgroups.now im lost, any info will be appreciated -
Dick H posted 4 frequencies which are different than what is listed in the DB. The frequencies he posted are typical after a rebanding. Perhaps the DB needs to be updated. It looks to me like if you change to the 4 frequencies he provided, you will be good.

mikey60

You only need the 4 control channel freqs. Talk groups are not affected by re-banding.

Those frequencies would also indicate that this is a splinter system, so make sure the bank is set to use Splinter tables. (Press FUNC-3 in programming mode to set that).

Mike

rmiller818

Okay, I am not exactly sure which system you are wanting to monitor or if you are wanting to listen to the city or county but, according to the database, this system covers both the city and county (though the talkgroups listed only seem to be for the county and other services). El Paso City and County Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

HOWEVER, it uses Provoice exclusively and therefore cannot be monitored by any scanner.

With that out of the way, maybe this is the only system you wanted to monitor: El Paso (3802) Trunking System, El Paso, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

In which case as mentioned above it is a Motorola Type II system and it is a Splinter system as Mike mentioned.

SO, make sure you set it up as a Type II Splinter system and you should be good to go, EDACS and correct channel order does not come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.