Scantenna Antenna / Need advice plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

sony

hsdtech said:
I have my scantenna at about 15 ft. only because of all of my ham antennas. Right now I am using 2 Lowes (actually Channel Master) poles.
I plan on putting up my 60 ft. tower in about a month or two, so then I will have my scantenna up a LOT higher. But at 15 ft. I receive LOTS of traffic, especially MilAir (almost non stop traffic).
The Channel Master pole is very well built, made of steel. It also has 3 guy rings so you can attach guy wires if you need. The scantenna is a very light antenna and you will definitely won't have to worry about it's weight on the pole. You can even buy a 5 or 10 foot antenna mast in addition to the pole to get extra height. A ham friend of mine did this with a dual band J-Pole antenna and has it about 45 feet.
Yes the pole can be buried right in the ground. Use a post hole digger or sharpshooter shovel to dig the hole so it will be nice and narrow. Try to get it at least 2 feet if you can. Then you can use mounting brackets to attach to the pole at a higher point.
With you only using the scantenna I wouldn't worry about guy wires.
I only have one of mine guyed, but because I have an 11 ft. 2m beam on top of a rotator on a mast on the top of the pole.
But remember, the higher you get it up the more RG-6 you will need.

NOTE: GROUND the push up pole at the bottom using hose clamps and at least 6 guage copper wire to an 8 ft. ground rod pounded in right by the base of the pole. The wire should only need to be about 12 inches long at the most.
If lightning hits the antenna or mast you want that strike to go down the pole, through the copper wire to the ground rod into the ground.

TIP: Use a spray can plastic cap or something else to put over the top of the pole. You want to keep rain water from going down the inside of the pole and making the hole you will dig from holding water.

I have a similiar set up 15 ft. mast that is cemented into ground then a wall mount on peak of roof less than 12 inches between the brackets then from there 15 feet up a 10 ft. mast and a 5 ft. mast. It has guy wires on it. Now if I remove 5 ft of it will it really make a difference in reception and whether to use guy wires or not?
Also how can you ground this antenna because it is 30 feet total up in the air from ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.