Scantenna description

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMan1

Does anybody have or know where I can get a detailed description of this antenna, I would like to try and build one. Thanks

LarrySC

It is a 300 ohm vertical diapole with offset [rabbit eared] VHF elements and 800 matching stubs. It requires a 4:1 balun transformer and RG-6 75 ohm coax for matching. Buy one-measure it-forget the idea of building one. It would just be a waste of time. Good Luck

RocketMan1

LarrySC said:
It is a 300 ohm vertical diapole with offset [rabbit eared] VHF elements and 800 matching stubs. It requires a 4:1 balun transformer and RG-6 75 ohm coax for matching. Buy one-measure it-forget the idea of building one. It would just be a waste of time. Good Luck

why would it be a waste of time?

RocketMan1 said:
why would it be a waste of time?

I would say it is because by the time you factor in your cost/ the time to build it you would be better off just buying one. Your not talking about building an antenna that would cost a few hundred dollars for a few bucks. It wouldn't be worth the savings. I paid $40 for mine at a local cb/scanner shop.

RocketMan1

organized_mayhem said:
I would say it is because by the time you factor in your cost/ the time to build it you would be better off just buying one. Your not talking about building an antenna that would cost a few hundred dollars for a few bucks. It wouldn't be worth the savings. I paid $40 for mine at a local cb/scanner shop.

Time is not a factor, I have that. As for cost of material, I also have access to all kinds of scrap metals, I.E: aluminum, copper, stainless, you name it, pretty much the only thing I would have to pay for would be the balun. So, if anybody has this antenna and would not mind taking the time to get some detailed measurments, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Rax

One of the retail sites had a detailed spec sheet that I can't find now.

Here's what I DO have:

Boom length: 20"
Max width: 4"
Vertical height: 102"
Turning radius: 18"
Element dia: .375"

What I should have added in my earlier post is that if your up for the challenge. Go for it. We all like to have our projects now and then. Wish I could help ya with the measurements but mine is already in the air.

RocketMan1

organized_mayhem said:
What I should have added in my earlier post is that if your up for the challenge. Go for it. We all like to have our projects now and then. Wish I could help ya with the measurements but mine is already in the air.

Thanks anyway!

TeRayCodA

If you are up to building one,it can be tedious.
I made one out of a scrapped TV antenna years ago.It's not rocket science,it's just hard to keep the Vhf lo element straight.
What I did,was I found some cpvc tubing that fit the dia. of the lo band element.Then I fastened it onto the insulator which attaches onto the boom.
As for the "V" rabbit type ears,I fastened those onto the lo band element with some corner braces,(made from aluminum)and with then with some 3/16" pop rivets.
-everything else is pretty self-explanatory....

TeRayCodA

Ok,Found it...As you can see,you're in for quite a work-out.

That's why it's best to have at least a couple of old,salvaged TV antennas,some long aluminum pop rivets,Stainless steel 10/32 bolts/nuts,"U"bolt,and, a tubing cutter.

Not bad to build one if you have the parts,and patience.I gave mine to my sister,who has it in her attic.

If you're going to mount this home-brew outdoors,be sure to do the fiberglass mod also mentioned in the forums.

Attachments

• Scantenna specs.jpg
    Scantenna specs.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,500

RocketMan1

TeRayCodA, you are a saint, this is what I am looking for! Yes, I have about 5 or so T.V. antenna's laying around at work, now lets see if I have the patience, I had it for the ground plane's and the di-pole's, but those were easy. Thanks again!

sony

TeRayCodA said:
Ok,Found it...As you can see,you're in for quite a work-out.

That's why it's best to have at least a couple of old,salvaged TV antennas,some long aluminum pop rivets,Stainless steel 10/32 bolts/nuts,"U"bolt,and, a tubing cutter.

Not bad to build one if you have the parts,and patience.I gave mine to my sister,who has it in her attic.

If you're going to mount this home-brew outdoors,be sure to do the fiberglass mod also mentioned in the forums.

I have salvage parts from 2 Channel Master antennas both missing the vertical elements but all other pieces are still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.