scantenna parts

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Wow, the weather must be real bad in Ohio. My ST-2 lasted close to 10 years and I left it on my folks house when I moved out and forgot about it due to being in an apartment at the time (no way to mount) and then Hurricane Sandy rolled thru. Bottom element snapped off but found some 3/16 aluminum rod that fit firmly inside. While right now a small hose clamp is holding it in place. The plan was to use the low head aluminum welding rods and hope for the best, but then I found electrically conductive epoxy and with to many projects going, I put that on hold for now. Also because those plastic insulators mentioned above are showing dry rot and spider cracks and should be replaced. I will be doing those with Lexan and using non-conductive (West Systems) epoxy to make those.

Both of them lasted through one winter and then fell apart. Worked very well until then. This area, Toledo, actually has milder weather than almost anywhere else in an hour's drive. I've had slinky antennas, slopers, both homemade and bought, along with discones, and ground planes, and they all lasted at least a decade unless a tree branch hit them during a storm. My Alpha-Delta sloper lasted about 20 years before water got into the coax from the connector cracking the insulator. One of these days I'm going to make one and since it will be used inside, I would imagine it will last forever.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
The only problem with the "Scantenna" was it's amazingly short lifespan if you put it outside. I had one in my attic for a long long time, and it worked great. The outside ones made it through one winter and that would be about it. Even the "heavy duty" one I bought for (I think) $75 only made it partially through it's second winter.
I have a Scantenna St-2 it's been on my tower for 15 years and still in good shape nothing wrong with it. I wish I could buy another

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
I attempted that build last year (post #10) and had results that didn't make sense. Essentially it was deaf and I cant figure out why. On one of those inexpressive VNA's there was nothing showing a good match or resonance anywhere. I still have it in the garage and it is on my list to revisit it this summer. I will pick back up the trail and try swapping transformers, coax, etc. I think I had too much going on at the time to dig further, but its something don't want to give up on. I have seen wayyy too many people report good results with the original design so there's gotta be something to it. One tends to forget how tall one of those things are when down on the ground!