Scantenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnCowden

How do u convert the scantenna ST-2 so it could take RG-8 MINI coax with 2 pl 259 plugs on it ? does the 75 ohms transformer have anything to do with it ?

Jakemcgraw

How do u convert the scantenna ST-2 so it could take RG-8 MINI coax with 2 pl 259 plugs on it ? does the 75 ohms transformer have anything to do with it ?

You need an adapter, which is : F-male to SO-239,,then you can thread the F-male on the transformers female F connector, and your PL-259 onto the So-239.....A good place I deal with has them www.therfc.com they have very good quality adapters , coax connectors, and coax cable.

af5rn

The loss difference will be less than 1db improvement. Not worth spending the time or money for, because there is not the slightest chance you will notice the difference, especially after adding the loss of the adapter. Save your money and get a decent antenna, because this coax thing just isn't going to do it for you.

hoser147

http://www.kf4l.org/coaxloss.htm

Scanners (VHF/UHF)

For Scanner (receive-only) applications, we recommend using our low-loss RG-6U as a minimum. For even better signal reception, use either RF-9913 or RF-9914F loss loss cables. You can even use RG-11, but the RG-6 and RF-9914F/RF9913 cables are better choices for most scanner applications. Don't use RG-8U, RG-58, RG-59, RG-213, or even inexpensive 75 ohm "Shack" TV cable as they will perform poorly. As you can see from the table below, at the higher frequencies cable losses can be significant so use quality low-loss cables and keep the cable length to the antenna as short as possible.

Last edited:

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Hey Shawn

If your budget can handle it you should consider LMR-400 Ultra Flex cable. It's pricey and thicker but the performance is better at longer runs. Ebay has a few vendors

Paul

af5rn

Hey Shawn,

Refer back to my previous post. You're wasting your money for no noticeable benefit. Spend your money on either a better antenna or a taller pole to mount it on.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I have a 50ft run of the included RG6 with my ST2 and it's in my 2nd story attic (not even outside) and it works very well.

I use LMR400 on my Yagi 800 and tried it with my ST2 prior to getting the Yagi.. I couldn't tell much if any difference. To be honest, I need shorter runs, but the cable I got had the connectors preinstalled...So I have a 50 ft run of RG6 and 75ft run of LMR400 when all I really need is 30ft or so. I just don't want to be cutting off N-Type connectors and reinstalling...If I was confident about doing that, I'd probably just cut the LMR400 in half and use it for both runs...

Status
Not open for further replies.