Scantenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith29180

Hey all I was wonder if there is anything I can do to improve the 800MHZ performance on the ST-2 .I am running it at 20fthigh on a 996 and am only getting about 15 mile radius .I am as High as I am allowed Darn HOA!! I was thinking of changing out the 5 inch UHF radials with a 5/8 over 1/4 open coil cellphone antennas just to see if it would make any difference before I added a line amp .I am looking to receive Holly Hill and Canadays Towers which are 25 miles away as the crow flys .Any suggestions would be greatful.
Thanks Ron

timmer

Unfortunately, I think you need a diffrent antenna. The scantenna is very good but not on 800mhz. You need a Nil-Jon base antenna or a maxrad. Or a beam antenna, preferably an 800 mhz yagi, and a rotor.

sony

Perhaps you need an antenna that is dedicated to the 800 MHZ? But on this particuliar freq. since the antenna is so small is there really a difference if you install an 800 MHZ antenna on your roof or just get a handheld antenna so you don't have to do all of that installation and preparation of the outdoor antenna? Is height an issue with this small antenna needed for 800 MHZ?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Smith and all,

Very few scanner antennas are worthwhile on 800MHz which is why serious scannists opt for a separate antenna specifically for the band. For technical reasons you can't combine the two without a custom made diplexer (no off the shelf units for this application are available) or you may use a UHF coaxial switch and scan the band separately or use another scanner.

The story of my adventure in Diplexer Land may be searched out on this forum or you may enquire of Tin Lee Electronics Ltd. of Toronto. I'm reasonably sure the model number LH7 600/700 inspired by my requirements is in thier records and Mrs. Sniva Lee will be most helpful. If you should choose to go this route you'll find the product exceptional.

Bear in mind that 800MHz is a troublesome band to begin with so antenna gain and height are all important and don't neglect the coax, loss goes up with frequency so use the best you can afford.

Smith29180

Thanks For the input guys.I I have been messing around with a mobile A mount cell phone antenna that I am going to mount on top of my unused chimney (Dont get cold enough to fire up ) any see what that will do for me

Status
Not open for further replies.