Scantenna spit to different rooms..

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I just got my scantenna up and the range is AMAZING, I'm hearing 50 miles away!!! CLEAR!!! BUT I want to split the RG 6 to a different part of the house as well. Can I use a regular cable TV splitter to split this and also, How much gain will I lose by doing that? otherwise, what's the best way to split it w/o much sig. loss?

n2ops

Multiple Scanners

I run a total of 16 scanners and receivers from one antenna with basic TV amplifiers. One to four and then to four more.

Spend some time at this site: http://www.solidsignal.com/antennas/

Amps and splitters are also available at home improvement stores.

Be sure to use RG6, not RG59 cable.

Amplifiers will defeat you in a strong signal area. I am rural and they are a must for distant reception.

There will be some loss with basic TV splitters, but barely noticable and at a fraction of the cost of scanner related equipment.

Be sure the amp covers 800 MHz. Every amp I've ever used works well beyond the stated ranges.

btritch

I won't need an amp, I'm hearing 60 miles with nothing CLEAR...IF I use a TV splitter with RG 6 cable in one room, The other room I have RG 59U ran. I was just going to split it off and then leave the 59 run. Will it hurt? should I change it with RG 6?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Just splitting with no amp will result in about 4 db loss in a good quality splitter. I don't classify cable tv products as "good quality", but it'll be around that. Without a huge amount of extra cable loss, you'd scarcely notice that. But if your system is entirely passive, with no preamp, then it would make sense to use the best quality cable you can afford.

Chevyman22360

You could try a multi coupler, such as Electroline 2802 or 2402. I currently have a 2802, it has 8 ports and provides no gain. I like it, works great!!

NYRHKY94

I'm with Chevyman22360. I'm using an Electroline 2802 to split my "Scantenna" between 8 scanners in my home shack. Works like a charm. I got my electroline off an E-bay auction for a great price, but they don't come up for sale that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.