Scantenna/ST2 Tested In very poor location

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

O.k., I decided to test the Scantenna/ST2 in a very poor mounting location and in a horizonal
position.

This is in my basement,Brick walls and as you can see in the picture, the antenna is located
2 feet BELOW ground level (brown curtain on window is ground level).

1002951og5.jpg

I used a short run of rg8 to the scanner located just 2 feet from the antenna.

With this, i am able to hear all the local PD/Fire/EMS and even some air craft.
Using a bc120xlt portable scanner.

Reception on VHF low and high which are the only local stations in range even with my outside antenna's.
(39.000 - 159.000mhz)

Range in miles are approx. 20 (not great but not bad)

So, i would have to think, if this was outside mounted horizonaly, it would do very well
soon i will find out.

I have 2 ST2 antenna's now and i am happy.

I think i will try a co-phase between the vertical ST2 and the horizonal ST2 ounce i get this one mounted outside, just to see how that works out.

af5rn

What is this "basement" thing you speak of?

I am unfamiliar. :lol:

Thanks for the experimentation! More posts like this help us all to understand the performance of different antennas and mountings, which is the most commonly asked questions here. Can you compare the horizontal to vertical before you put that thing up on the roof? I'd be interested in hearing any differences there. Too bad you don't have an S-meter to quantify reception with.

stevolene

1. a story of a building, partly or wholly underground.
2. (in classical and Renaissance architecture) the portion of a building beneath the principal story, treated as a single compositional unit.
3. the lowermost portion of a structure.
4. the substructure of a columnar or arched construction.
thanks

radiowaves

Antenna Polarization

Think this has already been stated...

Trying to receive a vertical polarized wave with a horzontal polarized antenna will result in at-least 20 dB of attenuation.

On line-of-sight (LOS) paths, it is most important that the polarization of the antennas at both ends of the path use the same polarization. In a linearly polarized system, a misalignment of polarization of 45 degrees will degrade the signal up to 3 dB and if misaligned 90 degrees the attenuation can be 20 dB or more. (http://www.astronwireless.com/topic-archives-antennas-polarization.asp)

Just something I ran across, thought it might be of some interest.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.