Scantenna vs 118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Model Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinks

get something from DPD and forget about it.
I ended up with the 118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Model Antenna. If I ever have to climb my tower it wont be to work on the antenna, this thing is great. I put it up last summer and the range is fantastic in all directions. I wanted something slightly directional as I am trying to get an 800mhz system and didnt want to hear the garble I was getting with the sputnik.
I have the anternna on a rotor so I can point it where ever I want.

lmrtek

I have used the scantenna and it is a fine antenna.

Since it is a vertical dipole design, it is actually resonant on specific bands.

It will outperfom most scanner antennas on Low VHF since most other antennas aren't long enough to be resonant at those freqs.

And it's performance on VHF and UHF is great

vdubb16

Im saving my pennys for the LP model. I previously had a RS-20-176 i think is the model number. But it unfortunatlly turned into a lawn dart from 50ft high. The link below to give u an idea of my location, id say 100 degrees out of 360 radius is of any interest to me. N to W of me and theres not much land any other direction except for W. But the tower are within 5 miles. I Thought this might have been causing some issues with overloading As my RX from distant signals seem to constantly change.
And local pd and fire always seemed over modulated. However not so much as of late since narrowbanded.

Any input as to if the LP will reduce such an issue with the reflected end facing these towers?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...34.721297,-76.78894&spn=1.002325,2.801514&z=9

Last edited:

edlovelace

Premium Subscriber
I just installed the DPD Productions 118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Model Antenna about a month ago, replacing the ST2 Scantenna and Upgrading the Grove Beam III. This Is the ONE!!! I am now receiving ALL of the trunked frequencies from my neighboring counties that I was not receiving prior. I now receive both base AND mobile transmissions from my remaining frequencies, not to mention the fact that I am hearing many that I never picked up before. I've been at this hobby for a long time (30 years+) I have tried just about every style and brand of antenna (within reasonable price, of coarse) and this is the best antenna I've owned! I would highly recommend it! Be cautioned that I have followed all of the rules though...Proper installation, good cable, very few connectors/adapters and so on..Check out my set up for a full explanation and photos. Enjoy! Thanks Dave at DPD!!!
"The SERIOUS Scanner Hobby" (Revised) | Facebook

lake

Hopefully it isn't too obvious to state, but the Scantenna and the directional antenna from DPD are apples and oranges.

A scanning enthusiast, with the room for the DPD LP beam, would be in great shape with both the directional antenna and the Scantenna to use either on different scanners or with a switch to jump between the 2 antennas.

For instance, in Dallas, most transmissions are on repeaters, but if something big was happening in one location they often go to talk-around and the DPD LP would be awesome for pointing directly at the incident site and listening to direct communications. This is one small example but there are plenty of reasons to have both.

The DPD LP is a worthy investment and it really needs a rotor to get the true enjoyment of a quality antenna like that.

Lake DeLoach
FM Antenna,Weather Radio Antenna,and more| FM DX Antennas

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I just installed the DPD Productions 118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Model Antenna about a month ago, replacing the ST2 Scantenna and Upgrading the Grove Beam III. This Is the ONE!!! I am now receiving ALL of the trunked frequencies from my neighboring counties that I was not receiving prior. I now receive both base AND mobile transmissions from my remaining frequencies, not to mention the fact that I am hearing many that I never picked up before. I've been at this hobby for a long time (30 years+) I have tried just about every style and brand of antenna (within reasonable price, of coarse) and this is the best antenna I've owned! I would highly recommend it! Be cautioned that I have followed all of the rules though...Proper installation, good cable, very few connectors/adapters and so on..Check out my set up for a full explanation and photos. Enjoy! Thanks Dave at DPD!!!
"The SERIOUS Scanner Hobby" (Revised) | Facebook

I agree 100%! I have been scanning the bands for 30+ years and the DPD Scanner LP is the best I have ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.