• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

scariest radio calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

hi everyone
hope ur having a great summer
and i made this thread to see who has had the scariest radio calls tht they have had to respond to, and how they turned out.
thnx

Last edited:

jmp883

As an emergency services dispatcher for the past 16 years I have 3 calls that will always stand out in my memory. Oddly, all 3 just occured within the last year, 2 at my full-time job, the other at my part-time job. 2 of them occured within a month of each other.

The first call was via cellular 9-1-1 at the full-time job. All I was able to hear was a female screaming and being beaten badly. I could also hear the male beating her. Being a cellular 9-1-1 call all we got on the ALI/ANI screen was the cell site location/phone number. There was no way to trace the call and the cell site wasn't even located in our jurisdiction or in the surrounding areas. After several minutes of listening to this poor woman being beaten I heard the male drag her out of the room with her still screaming. To this day I still wonder if she's ok......

The 2nd call was while I was working at the part-time job. We received an ambulance call for a bicycle-related injury. Dispatched the ambulance and two officers. Before the ambulance arrived on-scene the sergeant comes on the radio, very agitated and excited, requesting a second ambulance ASAP for an officer down. I've worked with this officer for the whole 16 years I've been a dispatcher and he is very calm and cool on the radio so to hear him in a very excited, agitated state got my adrenalin flowing as well. It took several minutes until I found out that the officer down was struck by a motor vehicle while directing the original ambulance into the location of the call. While he's had several surgeries since the accident he should be back to work by the end of the summer.

Several weeks later, at the full-time job, we received a call for a domestic incident. Upon their arrival patrol advised they had a male holding his teenage daughter at knifepoint in the driveway. Several minutes go by while we dispatch additional pd and ems units to the scene. Then I hear one of the units reporting that shots were fired and requesting the ems units that were standing by, clear of the scene, to respond in. After confirming the transmission of shots fired and that it was safe for ems to respond in I inquired if it was for an officer or the actor. It was for the actor, who released his daughter and then came after the officers with a large knife.

Needless to say these 3 calls made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I hope it's a long time before I have to hear anything like these calls again.

dangitdoug

I was a Patrol Supervisor for a private security company in San Diego in 1990. On my last night with the company, I get a gun call at a standing post. The Field Supervisor for standing posts requested my response as I was armed and she was not. The post officer had backed himself into a corner after confronting a female subject with her hand in her jacket pocket and threatening to shoot him. This brilliant officer decided to draw his weapon and back into a so-called defensible position (Into a friggin' corner).

On the way to the scene, I radioed his supervisor and told her I was going to kill this guy if he got me shot on my last night on the job. When we arrive, the female has left the area. I brief PD and return to the scene to debrief the officer. Once he told me about his decision to back into a corner, I suggested he contact the school he obtained his firearms permit from and re-take the class, being sure to stay awake this time.

When I went to the office the next day, I was informed he had quit at the end of his shift. Probably the best thing he could have done for his own good.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

I was working at an international airport listening to my scanner when I heard the local police chasing armed suspects into one of our parking lots and get into a shootout. Having an airport portable in my posession as part of the job (no telephone was available) I radioed to the supervisors the situation repeating "shots fired" twice in expectation they'd inform the Port Authority Police. No such luck, the parking lot supervisor drove right into the thick of it and ended up hiding scared ****less under her vehicle as the suspects hijacked a bus.

Eventually and I don't know how the PAPD joined in and rounded them up but not until after they went on a wild ride terrorizing the bus driver and his passengers. We, those with radios were the only ones to know the whole story, the local newspaper carried only a brief mention. Airports have this policy much like "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." so nary a word is mentioned of all the near misses, not even the terrorist bombs and let me tell you, when Lockerby was in the news they found several every day for over a year.

Now here's the funny part, this supervisor put me on report for getting her involved in the shootout! Reality check, with a dozen ear witnesses it was quickly determined that "shots fired" tells you to call the cops and stay the hell away from the scene! Darwin Award or no two very good things came out of it, I got an official pat on the back and the supervisor became one of my best friends and allies. In the end it rings true, it pays to have friends in high places and even an idiot with a bad attitude can change.

I have heard plenty of scary situations on the scanner but being involved in one is a whole 'nuther ball game. Thankfully the well known phrase "all's well that ends well" applied to every one of them.

morganAL

Years ago when I was a volunteer fire fighter, we were paged to a structure fire. Upon arrival, I quicky suited up in turnout gear and a SCBA. Another FF and myself entered the structure which was really rolling. We knocked the fire down in the living room and then made our way down the hallway. We spent several minutes crawling up and down this hallway putting out the fire. After the fire was out and we started recovery operations, we discovered we had be crawling over several hundred rounds of live amunition. There was ammo ranging from .410 shotgun shells to .45 cal hollow points. The ammo was in a cabinet in the hallway that had partially burned and dumped its contents into the floor. Needless to say, I had to go outside and unwind a little.

As a dispatcher, one of the most exciting moments was when I recieved a 911 call from a trailer park where a deputy had checked out a few minutes earlier on a follow-up to a criminal mischief report. The caller stated the deputy was down on the ground rolling around and fighting with some guy. This being small-town America, the next closest deputy was 25 miles away. Of course, status requests on the radio went unanswered for several minutes. I had to call another agency in another county for assitance. Before any other units could arrive, the deputy answered the radio and reported suspect in custody.

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
This happened when I was dispatching for a commercial ambulance company. The woman on the phone said "Hi, I am at 1676 ######### avenue. I'll be on the second floor in the hallway. By the time you get here I will have shot myself. Goodbye" Then she hung up. 3 minutes later, when the FD and our guys got there, she was on the second floor landing with a single gunshot wound to her chest. The phone book was open to our listing. I was the last person she ever spoke to. It still gives me shivers 20+ years later.

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
kc2kvz said:
This happened when I was dispatching for a commercial ambulance company. The woman on the phone said "Hi, I am at 1676 ######### avenue. I'll be on the second floor in the hallway. By the time you get here I will have shot myself. Goodbye" Then she hung up. 3 minutes later, when the FD and our guys got there, she was on the second floor landing with a single gunshot wound to her chest. The phone book was open to our listing. I was the last person she ever spoke to. It still gives me shivers 20+ years later.
Jesus! God bless that you didn't lose it over that one!

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
AEMTKieran said:
Jesus! God bless that you didn't lose it over that one!
My immediate thought to that was a bit sadistic: "Ok, sorry to hear that...careful where you aim, don't take anyone else out with you"

Does that mean I've been doing this too long? I mean there isn't much you are going to do or say at that point. She already had her mind made up, and actually went thru with it...unlike the majority of attention-seekers who just pretend.

USAPatriot

Whatever you might think happened there, please don't ever think that you had anything to do with it. She tried to victimize you. I hope she didn't succeed. It's a damn good thing she didn't get the thought that maybe if she waited a little bit she could extract a little more pain from someone. Instead of sending words, she might well have sent a bullet. -Rod-

Status
Not open for further replies.