• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Scariest thing you've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus

Well, for me, I've just started tonight, so, I haven't heard much, just a guy getting hit by a car and then getting into a big fight. What about you guys?

Chris0381

Well 2 am this morning in Glastonbury, CT a policeman pulled over a wrong way driver who took off an crashed. When the policeman caught up to him the suspect took off into the rainy wet woods and the officer chased him and a scuffle broke out. The suspect took the officers gun and shot him in the arm with it. The cop made his way back and called for help with the suspect still in the woods with the officers gun. The distress in the voice of the officer calling for backup was the scary part as his life was in danger at the time.

At this time 8 am Sunday there is a manhunt on for the suspect near Hebron Ave and Rt 2 with E Hartford police also looking for the suspect.
He's obviously armed and dangerous.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To paraphrase the popular Simon and Garfunkel song - The Sounds of Silence

The aircraft bands after 9/11 'nuff said

73s Mike

Chris0381

"Bands after 9/11"

I would like to know more about the communications after 911. Thats a big part of history thats never really been covered by the media, if it is cell phone comm's then Ide rather that stay private but the control tower comm's would be interesting to get some of the details on. My scanner was collecting dust at that time.

exodus

Yeah that's scary, Just to refine people, I mean heard on your radio, not TV or things like that :)

hemi

About 10-12 years ago, a prisoner, in for 3 murders one a pregnet women, hid in food delivery truck from a our local pen. When the driver made his next stop he jumped out and free to roam our small town. He went to a local hardware shop and stole a hammer and strolled around town to a clothing shop and stole a parka and clean cloths. I can see this store from my house! Now the town is crawling with cops and the dispatcher keeps reminding everyone he is a murder and he hates women,litteraly hundreds of cops and tracking dogs are everywhere. The guy was at my neibours looking in the car for keys, and checked my wifes grandmothers car. Anyways he abducted a elderly women and her truck and fled town. No one knew the lady was missing for hours, meanwhile 2 k-9's 3 swatt teams,a helicopter,and hundreds of police officers where searching the town. Turns out he choked the women,beat her with a hammer until he thought she was dead and threw the body out. He was caught several hours later. The women lived.

Fast1eddie

Premium Subscriber
Re: Scariest Comms

Scary no. Alarming and thought provoking yes. Monitored Pennsylvania State Police mobile units following Flght 93 until impact, than recovery operations.

Ed

ipod

the scariest thing for me are these bright flashing red and blue light behind me and the sirens, and until they pass me they'd be the scariest for me. ghosts and things that go bump in the night dont really scare me as much!

motomeso

Here is one that brought chills to me when I heard it, reported 5 people still inside of a house fire. Turns out they where all kids and they got out safe, heard PD request 5 Teddy Bears to the scene. :)

Attachments

AndrewC75

Kennesaw, GA officer with no backup on scene in an armed stand-off with a guy attempting suicide-by-cop. He kept the mike keyed as he shakily but authoritatively yelled to the perp "I will shoot you!! Put down the gun! I will shoot you!" and the perp screaming back "No! I'm gonna kill you". Presumably two reasons for keying the mike 1) I need backup NOW 2) CYA. Once backup arrived, I think the perp met the business end of a OC cannister and ended up in custody.

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
I have two:

It was about 3:00 AM, I was just listening to my scanner in bed, and I was listening to the Patrol talkgroup for a very high crime area. The dispatcher put out a run for a possible suicide/DOA reference to "a bad smell coming from the persons apartment and maggots crawling under the door". Just thinking about that at 3 in the morning gives you the chills.

Probably the scariest was a few weeks ago, I was listening to the same patrol talkgroup, and the PD stopped a car that was involved in a bank robbery about 5 minutes prior, and they were supposedly armed with AK-47s. One of the officers had an open mike, and all you could hear was: GET YOUR HANDS UP OR I'LL FUC*ING SHOOT YOU!, TURN THE FU*KING CAR OFF! GET OUT OF THE CAR, OR I'LL SHOOT YOU DAMMIT!

CLTX11

Nov 29, 2005 when a Fort Worth Officer was shot in the head on a warrant search of a house. The man jumped out of a closet and shot him. The guy ran to another house and took a woman hostage, had to medevac the officer. The SWAT team came in, hostage was let loose and the suspect later surrendered. The officer died two days later, the news casting was pretty sad.

The day of the officers funeral, on one of the patrol channels they did a little special something.

Dispatcher was calling his (fallen officers) handle Zebra XXX, she called it three times. Then another officer answered, Patrol be advised Zebra XXX will be 24-62 (finished for the day) for the remainder, God Speed Hank.

They had the recorded Tx on a link to the FWPD page but it isnt there anymore. It was more sad than scary I guess.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18064

johnvassel

Sunday, Aug. 16, 1987. Flight 255 from Metro Detroit crashed into an overpass on I-94 and middlebelt roads, Romulus Mi. I'd had the local PD (Westland) on scan and heard them ask an officer to head to the hospital to tell them to activate their triage unit.
A quick switch to wayne county deputies and I heard the first responding officer radio in 'Get fire down here, get anyone, the whole area is on fire'. It was bone chilling, and is to this day. The panic in this professionals voice. I also heard the helo that took the little girl away, the lone survivor of the flight. I think the news agencies didnt break that news for a few days, yet within an hour or so of the crash I knew there'd been a survivor.
Since then I've heard a few train wrecks, one pretty bad, and they bother me mainly because of proximity and duty.

John

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
The North Hollywood Bank of America shootout. You can find the recording online... brings chills to me every time I hear it.

K9GTJ

brandon said:
The North Hollywood Bank of America shootout. You can find the recording online... brings chills to me every time I hear it.
I was calling a vendor to place an order for some furniture hardware and they sometimes had a modest wait for a customer representive. I was on hold for just a few minutes (5 or less) hearing a play by play from a news chopper on scene and was really taken in by the comentary. When I got home to see the news, I couldn't beleive it at all.

drew6553

Wasnt heard on a scannerbut i was working an accident with my department i was directing traffic and i had a truck lock its brakes up and spin around while heading towards me luckily it happened to miss me ended up in the ditch she was ok but i about made code brown cause of that one

Status
Not open for further replies.