SCC Question - Starting Mileage, how lojack works, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

33PatchGo

Hello,

So this is my first post here and I don't know if I am in the right place or not, but I'll give it a try.

I have been listening to the Scanner for the LA County Sheriffs department and I have answered many of my own questions, but I have some more.

1) I understand how the "Call Desk" is at the station, but how do they call back the informants? I have dialed 911 and I was connected to the call desk and other times I was connected to a 911 operator. Is the call desk the 911 operators as well?

2) When a unit clicks their E-Trig, it goes to an alternate channel. What notification does SCC get?

3) What does starting mileage mean for example, for a "female transport." or any mileage noted for a female deputy @ [TimeStamp]

4) When SCC receives the call, does the call show up a different color depending on the priority status? For example for a Code 3 call, how does SCC know whether to send a unit code 3 or not?

5) How does SCC get notified to shut down unit code 3 if it's been downgraded?

6) Does SCC set unit status such as "Enroute" "10-8" "Code 6"?

If there are too many questions, I can separate them into different threads at different times. These questions I have always been curious about and never got these ones answered.

nokoa3116

Hello,

So this is my first post here and I don't know if I am in the right place or not, but I'll give it a try.

I have been listening to the Scanner for the LA County Sheriffs department and I have answered many of my own questions, but I have some more.

1) I understand how the "Call Desk" is at the station, but how do they call back the informants? I have dialed 911 and I was connected to the call desk and other times I was connected to a 911 operator. Is the call desk the 911 operators as well?

2) When a unit clicks their E-Trig, it goes to an alternate channel. What notification does SCC get?

3) What does starting mileage mean for example, for a "female transport." or any mileage noted for a female deputy @ [TimeStamp]

4) When SCC receives the call, does the call show up a different color depending on the priority status? For example for a Code 3 call, how does SCC know whether to send a unit code 3 or not?

If there are too many questions, I can separate them into different threads at different times. These questions I have always been curious about and never got these ones answered.

I am a bit lost as to what SCC is, and what you mean by it. Can you please elaborate.

What does starting mileage mean for example, for a "female transport." or any mileage noted for a female deputy
Mileage is called in for any civilian transport. It's a CYA move to eliminate any questions about the transport.

LoJack is activated when a vehicle is stolen or missing.

This explains it.

The LoJack equipped vehicle emits a trackable signal. The Police Vehicle containing the tracking unit has 4 antennas which are used to triangulate the missing item. I've seen it used on construction equipment too.

You can hear the signal on a scanner.

33PatchGo

Mileage is called in for any civilian transport. It's a CYA move to eliminate any questions about the transport.

You can hear the signal on a scanner.

So for the first part, the mileage, does that mean that the mileage of the vehicle is at the number? Is it almost like a record to say "From here to the station is XXX miles, so it shouldn't have taken XXXX miles to get there, where did you go?!?!"

Now, what about when "133B any mileage noted for a female transport, noted at [Time Stamp]?"

nokoa3116

I can't answer all of this, and I am not really sure if I am correct, but I will try.

For number 1, I know that for other cities in California, at least for my area, when you call 911 you will be connected with the city's dispatch center or county's if you are in a Sheriff's office area, or even CHP. They will try and determine whether the call is for their area or not. If not they will try and connect you with the appropriate dispatch center serving the area you are in. This also depends if there are any medical needs then you can be forwarded to a call taker trained for that. They can take your call and information, and then forward the information themselves to other dispatch centers by phone. I don't believe that any 911 calls will be routed to the station if all its communications, dispatchers, and call taker staff are at a different facility. It could be that call desk and 911 are the same, with just a different greeting? I have seen some areas have a radio channel where a dispatcher can contact other dispatchers from a different city. Some departments have the ability to share the CAD incident, but I think that's more likely between the same city's PD & Fire. Everything gets typed in to their CAD systems. As far as how your call gets dispatched is dependent on the department, and how busy they are. Usually a call taker takes your call, types everything, and a dispatcher sees it, and dispatches units while you are still on the phone. Other times the call taker is also a dispatcher, and during the call they may dispatch units over the radio. An experience I had calling 911 in the San Francisco Bay Area, I called 911 and the call failed. I received a call back a few seconds later. "911 received a call from this number is there an emergency there?". This was some national center, he forwarded my call to city's PD dispatch, whom then forwarded it to CHP, all while he stayed on the line with us.

For number 2, I assume you are referring to the emergency button on the radios. It depends on the system. If it's a digital trunked system it will send an emergency signal to the control channel, and it will show up audibly and visually on all dispatcher consoles with a red outline surrounding the resource it was triggered on. It will also show what radio ID triggered it. The radio ID that triggered it would have priority over everyone else and until they reset it, every time they talk it will trigger an emergency. Portable and Mobile radios will also display an emergency call on the screen, with the radio ID. With analog Motorola radios I believe that when you press that it will transmit using MDC on a separate channel, or whatever they have set up, and it will essentially show up the same way on the dispatcher console. They could have it set up to open the microphone, and some other things, but it depends on what they setup.

For number 3, officers give their patrol vehicle's current odometer mileage, usually just the last few digits, and dispatcher notes time. This is during transports, whether it's a prisoner, or for anyone else. This is used to verify in a way that no funny business took place. That the officer didn't go somewhere to do something to the prisoner, or other things like that. They know the distance and the time it should take to get to the destination. Officer will let dispatch know when they arrive, and current mileage of the car. Dispatcher will take note. If someone ever accuses they can look back.

For number 4, certain calls warrant a code 3 response, some don't. officers and dispatchers usually know which ones do. They also often get told on the radio to code 3. It depends on the call type and details, I think it's the dispatcher role to determine the code of response, depending on certain thresholds. I am not sure what you mean by it showing up. Do you mean like from call taker to dispatcher? I believe call taker inputs comments, dispatcher reads and makes judgement. I am not really sure what you mean.

For number 5, I assume that the call takers are in the same place as dispatchers, as they are here, new comments come in via CAD, dispatcher sees, and goes on radio to down grade responding units if needed. No reason for them to be in different locations, and if they are they should probably have systems that can communicate with each other and they should be able to see information from the call taker. If it's an outside agency taking the call, like CHP, or what not, they can call the Sheriff's Communication and let them know as things change, they can also forward the call and connect them with Sheriff's Office Communications.

For number 6, not sure what you mean. I Googled search some codes they use, looks like deputies use 10-8 for available. https://quizlet.com/2781972/radio-codes-lasd-flash-cards/#

What I said might not be true, this is just from my experience, and what I have seen.

shawn1899

Hello,

#1 Business lines and 911 are based at each sheriff station.

#2 E-trig goes to the E-Trig frequency. A dispatcher is always assigned the E-Trig channel on their console 24/7. So whatever dispatcher has that channel on their console would get the activation notification on their screen along with the units home channel dispatcher. Both dispatchers will call for the status of the unit and if they need to patch the two channels together for an actual emergency then they do.

#3 Yes it's for female transports or juvenile transports

#4 Each call is prioritized R-Routine (scc routinely doesn't pay attention to these. P-Priority calls (Scc voices these calls) and E-Emergency, Scc sees the "E" status and dispatches the call as a code-3 call, then the station dispatcher listening will assign the call to the units that are responding.

#5 a station desk will notify the SCC dispatcher via a cold line link to either send more units or shut down units code-3. Essentially SCC is a relay for desk operations.

#6 SCC does not routinely set enroute, etc status. The units usually do that via their MDC. Both the station desk and SCC have the ability if the field unit asks them to do it, but by routine nature the field unit does it.

33PatchGo

#1 Business lines and 911 are based at each sheriff station.

#2 E-trig goes to the E-Trig frequency. A dispatcher is always assigned the E-Trig channel on their console 24/7. So whatever dispatcher has that channel on their console would get the activation notification on their screen along with the unit's home channel dispatcher. Both dispatchers will call for the status of the unit and if they need to patch the two channels together for an actual emergency then they do.

#3 Yes it's for female transports or juvenile transports

#4 Each call is prioritized R-Routine (SCC routinely doesn't pay attention to these. P-Priority calls (Scc voices these calls) and E-Emergency, Scc sees the "E" status and dispatches the call as a code-3 call, then the station dispatcher listening will assign the call to the units that are responding.

#5 a station desk will notify the SCC dispatcher via a cold line link to either send more units or shut down units code-3. Essentially SCC is a relay for desk operations.

#6 SCC does not routinely set en route, etc status. The units usually do that via their MDC. Both the station desk and SCC have the ability if the field unit asks them to do it, but by routine nature the field unit does it.

This helps a lot, still have some clarification questions.

1) I understand that they are at the station, but what determines the call desk receiving the call and the 911 operators receiving the call?

2) Does "any mileage" mean that the unit is available anywhere for transport?

4) Each call is prioritized, does a 911 dispatcher assign the units or does the operator send it to the call desk to assign the units? Does the 911 operator know sheriff codes?

shawn1899

This helps a lot, still have some clarification questions.

1) I understand that they are at the station, but what determines the call desk receiving the call and the 911 operators receiving the call?

2) Does "any mileage" mean that the unit is available anywhere for transport?

4) Each call is prioritized, does a 911 dispatcher assign the units or does the operator send it to the call desk to assign the units? Does the 911 operator know sheriff codes?
#1 Both the desk and 911 is the same for sheriff stations... literally who picks up the phone first...

#2 mileage is transmitted for the voice tape, a beginning and ending mileage for the transport

#4 whoever takes the call assigns it a priority based on the circs of the call. The watch deputy (Person in charge of the desk operations job is to oversee the calls to make sure they are prioritized correctly and make judgement calls based on the call history. typically at a desk you have a watch deputy, the station dispatcher (who handles the L-Tac traffic and all assigning of units to calls, etc) then a few call takers... most desks the personnel literally sit about 6 feet away from each other.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Beginning mileage = officer reads the odometer at the beginning of the transport. Ending mileage = officer reads the odometer at the end of the transport. Ending mileage minus beginning mileage should equal some number that roughly matches the distance travelled as an extra bit of accountability on those types of transports.

I'm curious about the station dispatcher "cold line" to SCC and what exactly that means. I always pictured you call 911 and get the station dispatcher, who enters your call info into CAD and clicks send and it gets sent off to SCC and the units' MDTs. SCC then voices the call on the dispatch channel if its high enough priority, while units can contact station dispatcher directly on L-TAC for additional call info and callback if necessary. But not all call info can be communicated to SCC via CAD, so is the "cold line" just a phone line between that station and the SCC dispatcher? Intercom? Since SCC uses "reverse trunking" (shuffling dispatchers through different dispatch channels based on call volume rather than shuffling the channels) which SCC dispatcher picks up the phone? The same one who is temporarily trunked to the dispatch channel covering that station?

Interesting questions that don't need to be asked anywhere else in the world, because LASD does things such a unique (and weird to the rest of us) way. :)

shawn1899

Beginning mileage = officer reads the odometer at the beginning of the transport. Ending mileage = officer reads the odometer at the end of the transport. Ending mileage minus beginning mileage should equal some number that roughly matches the distance travelled as an extra bit of accountability on those types of transports.

I'm curious about the station dispatcher "cold line" to SCC and what exactly that means. I always pictured you call 911 and get the station dispatcher, who enters your call info into CAD and clicks send and it gets sent off to SCC and the units' MDTs. SCC then voices the call on the dispatch channel if its high enough priority, while units can contact station dispatcher directly on L-TAC for additional call info and callback if necessary. But not all call info can be communicated to SCC via CAD, so is the "cold line" just a phone line between that station and the SCC dispatcher? Intercom? Since SCC uses "reverse trunking" (shuffling dispatchers through different dispatch channels based on call volume rather than shuffling the channels) which SCC dispatcher picks up the phone? The same one who is temporarily trunked to the dispatch channel covering that station?

Interesting questions that don't need to be asked anywhere else in the world, because LASD does things such a unique (and weird to the rest of us) way. :)

The cold line is just a voip phone line between SCC and the stations.. It's used for the dispatcher to tell how many units to send code-3, or when there is a pursuit the station watch commander uses it to tell the scc watch commander to either continue the pursuit or cancel it, or conditions of pursuit, etc. For calls, all of the call details go into the call, and when updated info is received that also gets added to the call and if voiced call, scc reads the update over the dispatch channel. For the other question, which ever scc dispatcher has that stations frequency, they also carry the voip cold line/intercom on their console.

jrholm

A little more on the "cold line". It operates more like an intercom. There is a button on the dispatch console at the station right next to a speaker/mic combo. The dispatcher pushes it and it rings in the ear of the RTO who is holding that stations dispatch channel. They can then talk back and forth with each other.

Through another speaker on the dispatch console, all the dispatch channel traffic is heard by the station desk crew without the busy tone.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
A little more on the "cold line". It operates more like an intercom. There is a button on the dispatch console at the station right next to a speaker/mic combo. The dispatcher pushes it and it rings in the ear of the RTO who is holding that stations dispatch channel. They can then talk back and forth with each other.

Through another speaker on the dispatch console, all the dispatch channel traffic is heard by the station desk crew without the busy tone.

This is really cool! Thanks for the insight.

PaulNDaOC

It's been a few years, well many years since I worked that air at SCC, but what everyone is referring to as the 'cold line' actually sounds like the hot-line. It's always possible something has changed, but I doubt it. Some things will never change. LOL

The hotline is or was the direct link from the SCC Console to the Station Dispatcher. The hotline is linked via microwave and immediately becomes two-way when SCC initiates it, but SCC Dispatcher must answer before it is active. (If something major changed in the past few years, then this is no longer necessarily correct info I give)

The cold lines are dedicated ring-down lines between SCC and Stations, Fire, CHP, LAPD, etc... The bridge at SCC will usually use a cold line to call a station, and never if ever will use the hot-line. During a pursuit, the station Watch Commander and SCC W/C will converse on the cold line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.