Schenectady county n.y. 800 system

recap5

Premium Subscriber
Found four encrypted TGs (10109, 10121, 10116, 10102) on Schenectady County simulcast using SDS200 discovery mode. Heard very brief garble on two of these. I would guess some or all of these are Scotia and Glenville.

noseydon

Premium Subscriber
I've also found the same. Also found schdy parking 10120. 10121 also but no voice

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
I'm not certain this is Schenectady County, but does anyone have any hits on unknown TGs, likely encrypted, from about 6 PM tonight onward? If you have UIDs noted, 7008017, 7008051, and 12114192 should have shown up.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Maybe, if you can make a connection between talkgroups the system is broadcasting Over The Air Alias for commercial radios. Sometimes comes across as disp xx con xx. Sch Fire comes across as Disp 9 Con 5. If they spelled it out, it would be nice haha

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Maybe, if you can make a connection between talkgroups the system is broadcasting Over The Air Alias for commercial radios. Sometimes comes across as disp xx con xx. Sch Fire comes across as Disp 9 Con 5. If they spelled it out, it would be nice haha
OTA aliases are proprietary to ASTRO 25 systems at 7.16 or later which are configured to broadcast them over the traffic channels, and can only be decoded by APX subscribers with QA09008.

W2DFC

Premium Subscriber
Quaker Street should have their installs started tomorrow morning...They will be the last department in Schenectady County that needs to be done...Delanson should be active this week as the installs were finished today.

mkirker

Found four encrypted TGs (10109, 10121, 10116, 10102) on Schenectady County simulcast using SDS200 discovery mode. Heard very brief garble on two of these. I would guess some or all of these are Scotia and Glenville.
Talk Groups 10109 is SC LAW 1 (Glenville, Scotia, Rotterdam, Scotia and Niskayuna PDs) main dispatch channel - 10121 is Schenectady PD dispatch - 10116 is SCSO dispatch - as stated earlier, all these talk groups are full time encryption.

recap5

Premium Subscriber
Talk Groups 10109 is SC LAW 1 (Glenville, Scotia, Rotterdam, Scotia and Niskayuna PDs) main dispatch channel - 10121 is Schenectady PD dispatch - 10116 is SCSO dispatch - as stated earlier, all these talk groups are full time encryption.

Thanks for the update!

k2hz

Database Admin
If these TGs are full time encryption why was that not submitted to the RRDB that shows them as "T"?

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@k2hz I had the same thought. I submitted a note a few hours ago attempting to correct the problem, I've picked up the TGs, can confirm full time encryption.

wz0zzz

Premium Subscriber
Has there been any update on SFD? I heard them on my scanner app on my phone, but not coming in on my bcd536hp no matter what TGs I enter. I am near Central Park so it seems as though I should have no problem picking them up. I can see the s-meter going up on transmissions so I'm wondering if there is a ne tgid.

mkirker

Has there been any update on SFD? I heard them on my scanner app on my phone, but not coming in on my bcd536hp no matter what TGs I enter. I am near Central Park so it seems as though I should have no problem picking them up. I can see the s-meter going up on transmissions so I'm wondering if there is a ne tgid.
Were they working before? I hear them fine in Glenville on my SDS-100. TGID 10315 -- all the county FD channels seem to be working fine as well.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Sounds very much like simulcast distortion, which the BCD536HP doesn't handle well unless you are in an optimal location. The apparently strong received signal with no audio is a dead giveaway.

Looking at the map for the Schenectady simulcast site, it looks like you are probably close to two towers, and that's the recipe for simulcast distortion.

If you read the above-linked wiki article you'll find some suggestions that you can try to reduce the issue, but the bottom line is that the BCD536HP wasn't designed to handle simulcast distortion.

As to why you can hear traffic on your scanner app, my guess is that whoever is providing the feed is using an SDS100/200 or another device that can handle simulcast distortion.