Schiit Happened book review

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Ok, giggle and get over it. :)

Schiit Happened by Jason Stoddard / Mike Moffat is a fascinating book about how long term audio guys, who were into it well before the walkman, re-entered the field and became successful again doing it their own way. In a niche-market of course, with products solely engineered, designed, and built in the U.S.

Believe it or not, it is the classic garage-startup scenario. The U.S. made stuff is not just a rah-rah flag waving, but just a way to show that it *can* be done.

Some of you know I'm very sensitive to too much rah-rah over that, because good and bad quality can come from anywhere. This book review about about their business, is being typed in on a quality Chinese computer! Thankfully, the book isn't total rah-rah, but just a "hey, we CAN do this here and not end up on the street".

Although the story was serialized over on head-fi, I got the book edition so I could enjoy it the old-school way. At about 370 pages, the book is quality bound, and the font size is easy to read for us geezers - but not comically so.

It will mostly appeal to engineer types who will be fascinated at the underlying design details - what went right, and what went wrong. Pretty amazing at how open Jason is about the whole thing. Stuff like this would usually be under tight wraps in any other business.

There is a method to their madness, and it seems to be working in a dog-eat-dog world of audio.

Jason is a very good writer, and the style is laid back, comfortable, yet informative enough to keep us geeks turning the pages slowly.

If you are thinking about starting a business, whether you are into audio or not, there are loads of practical advice about *real world* issues when you are starting small and have plenty of competitors.

NO, I do not have any Schiit gear myself. But, I am sorely tempted to put one of their Magni-3 headphone amps between my Ccrane Skywave and some higher end phones. I'm almost embarassed to do that in person, so maybe I'll stick to online ordering and sneak it in that way. :)

My first concern would of course be to see how rf-quiet the wall-warts are - pretty important for a radio-listener! Hmmm.....

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

Ah, the pleasures of re-reading a *book* !

Seems that the little magni headphone amp is using a linear power supply, so likely no worries in the radio department.

It might be a nice fit to the CCrane 2E - I'll do anything to make Jim Sveda kick out the jams! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.