• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

School busted for GMRS/FRS use

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0iop

I contacted the frequency coordinator for some part 90 IB pairs in South Florida.

They suggested monitoring the channels first for a clear one because of unlicensed operation. I told them to just do their job, coordinate from the FCC database and we would report the unlicensed actors to the FCC. I guess it is that bad. I think the shops are to blame.

Wow.
a) I didn't realize it was that bad, especially in b-band.
b) I can't believe that they would admit it to the point where they would make a recommendation like that.

Might as well go back to 11 meters if the rest of the spectrum is no better.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think most people respect the authority of the FCC and it's legal ramifications about as much as the consequences for tearing the label off of your pillows or defacing US currency. Nobody thinks feds will really show up at their door for transmitting on illegal frequencies or bandplans. ...until they do. Must have been quite the surprise.

JD
kf4anc

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The Arizona Cardinals started out doing something similar with their new stadium years back. They actually placed their repeater antenna on top of that stadium and ran operations off of GMRS. The signal could be heard for 20-30 miles. This multi-million dollar operation got sold down the river by their radio people. I contacted the Cardinals, and they took care of it to their credit. The Cardinals would have been a prime target for action but dodged a bullet there.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Years ago, at the Pilot truckstop in Birmingham, AL, there was an owner-operator trucker parked there for over a week because he'd lost his job. He was transmitting with a linear amp so powerful that he could be heard over five surrounding counties and would not let anyone have a conversation on 10 or 11 meters. All that could be heard on the band, and bleeding over into the other bands, was belligerent profanity and threats. A coordinated effort between the reporting parties (other truckers), the truck stop manager, and the local PD contacted the FCC. who came out and busted the guy. He was hospitalized in a mental facility and later fined $25k for his actions. He might not have even been accosted except he was flagrantly insulting, threatening and challenging the FCC over the air. I heard (truck stop rumor so take it as such) that the manager at the Pilot actually got the FCC on the phone and let them listen to the guy. They showed up the next day.

JD
kf4anc

A few years ago the FCC was sending NOVs to people who owned multiple Obama phones. The wording was more of a scolding than a threat of a fine, but when they went after the vendors providing the phones they went whole hog with million dollar fines and shaming in the press release.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Been seeing a big uptick in the number of schools getting grants for new licenses, wonder if this has anything to do with that?

RFI-EMI-GUY

A few years ago the FCC was sending NOVs to people who owned multiple Obama phones. The wording was more of a scolding than a threat of a fine, but when they went after the vendors providing the phones they went whole hog with million dollar fines and shaming in the press release.
One of those "Obamaphone" vendors showed up at a community fair here locally and convinced a lot of LE officers that they qualified for these phones as veterans etc. A local department was caught outfitting a lot of officers with these phones.

I think this subsidized phone law preceded Obama by many years, but because it was as govt freebie, Obama got the "credit".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think this subsidized phone law preceded Obama by many years, but because it was as govt freebie, Obama got the "credit".

"Lifeline" service has been around for decades. Slowly migrating from wireline service to wireless service is just a natural progression.

But, yeah, some people don't understand what it is. Rather than do some research, they'll just blame in on him. So much easier that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.