School Frequencies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev_am

I've been trying to figure out what frequency my school's on since school started. But no luck, i've seen what they're using too, looks like a standard Kenwood 2-way buisiness radio, some use Motorolas and other makes. I've picked up schools around it but not mine, do you think they could encrypt their signal so nosy students can't hear them?
Any ideas to what they frequencies might be?

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
School freqs

2 things you can try

1. go to the FCC DATA BASE and search your county and State

2. Search the special freqs of your service search

I have done that many of times and I can ussally find my freqs within 60 mins or so it all depends on how often they are talking

What school are you looking for and what state? collage? high school?

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Chev_am:
Where are you, which school.... try looking in the IG service listings (Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional) that's where most of the schools in Kentucky are listed...

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Chev_am said:
I've been trying to figure out what frequency my school's on since school started. But no luck, i've seen what they're using too, looks like a standard Kenwood 2-way buisiness radio, some use Motorolas and other makes. I've picked up schools around it but not mine, do you think they could encrypt their signal so nosy students can't hear them?
Any ideas to what they frequencies might be?

It's doubtful that they're encrypted. If you have a scanner that has Close Call, such as the Bearcat BC246T, BCD396T, BR330T, or a few others, you can set this feature and you should have their frequency as soon as they transmit, assuming you're at the school at the time and reasonably close to them.

captclint

Mentor
Chev_am said:
I've been trying to figure out what frequency my school's on since school started.
In my area, they are all on LTR systems. This seems to be an increasing trend. See this FAQ to determine if you have any systems in your area.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Mapping_an_LTR_System

The good news is that if they are on a trunked sys, they will be very easy to find. They talk constantly between 7A to 10A and 2-4. Therefore, you do not need a scanner with LTR trunking capability to hear 90% of the traffic. They are worth locating, as they talk abouit all the radar traps, accidents, and traffic jams.

You should 1st look at the antenna to narrow your search. If it is approx 18", it is VHF and not trunked. If 6" or 12" with a coil in the middle, it is UHF, and then trunking is possible.

Last edited:

Chev_am

Looks like they use standard Rubber ducky antennas no bigger than 12 inches. I tryed looking in numerous scanning sites and nf2g had one for the school, it just doesn't work.
I have a pro-94, what i've been doing is searching UHF hi bands when i'm close. DO you think taking off the antenna while searching would help? I don't have signal stalker or any of that on the 94.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Chev_am said:
Looks like they use standard Rubber ducky antennas no bigger than 12 inches. I tryed looking in numerous scanning sites and nf2g had one for the school, it just doesn't work.
I have a pro-94, what i've been doing is searching UHF hi bands when i'm close. DO you think taking off the antenna while searching would help? I don't have signal stalker or any of that on the 94.

This isn't always 100 percent accurate but if you can get a look at the antenna, that will give you a better idea.

Check the pics below for a guideline. There are also short versions of both but these are the most common.

Attachments

• antennas.jpg
    antennas.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 883

captclint

Mentor
Chev_am said:
Rubber duck makes sense, but can "disguise" the actual wavelength. I see kingpin has provided more clues
Being close doesn't mean you catch them transmitting. However, I've found they tend to talk a bit more when coming and going from the school, so if you want to sit nearby a school, that might be your best chance.

The UHF band is pretty big to search unless you have plenty time or there is a lot of traffic. A better approach might be to plug the frequency for the school (the one that doesn't work) here:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR
in the Search for FCC License Data in your state. Assuming you find it, click on call sign. You should then see Lat/Lon of the transmitter. If you click on either, it will bring up a list of other transmitters in the general area. Using the info that others have suggested, you many be able to find the business system frequencies to check, or at least narrow the search parameters. Just remember that the bus will transmit on the mobile freq (usually 5Mhz higher than Repeater).

Last edited:

ImTheWeasel

Actually you might just try the GMRS frequencies. My local APT complex using GMRS and just uses the privacy channels on them.

Our local tech school users motorola spirit uhf radios.

hope this helps.

kg4pbd

Check the WIKI under business itinerant freqs. They have specific lists for Moto business radios.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Itinerant_and_Business

after searching last year when I'd pick up the kids I finally tried loading a system with those frequencies and within one day I found the frequency they were using.

The school district has it's own frequencies as well as talkgroups on the TRS but I found that individual schools often just use portable moto handhelds.

Chev_am

Looks like they use UHF, and i got a glimpse of one of the Motorolas (They also use Kenwood and another brand "patriot" I think) But the admin was using a Motorola HT50.
Also, thank you for all of the feedback.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Chev_am said:
Looks like they use UHF, and i got a glimpse of one of the Motorolas (They also use Kenwood and another brand "patriot" I think) But the admin was using a Motorola HT50.
Also, thank you for all of the feedback.

Okay, if they're using UHF radios, and one model is the Motorola HT-50, then you can rule out trunking, as the HT-50 isn't a trunked radio. So it seems they use conventional UHF channels, like the schools around here do.

R

Rayjk110

An HT50?

DAMN - Old SKool (no pun intended haha)

Weren't those crystal controlled? I think patriots were also set on a pre-set freq. set.

Try 464.5 and 464.55 or 154.57/154.6.

Jeffn8wb

You may want to just find out who is in charge of your school's radio system and ask some questions. Depending on who it is, they may be willing to take you in and show you the system that they use. If it turns out to be a teacher, they may look at it as a learning opportunity and even get you involved in some way.

cellblock776

ImTheWeasel said:
Actually you might just try the GMRS frequencies. My local APT complex using GMRS and just uses the privacy channels on them.

Our local tech school users motorola spirit uhf radios.

hope this helps.
GMRS is illegal for business purposes unless the School, Apartment complex, whatever has an old, grandfathered license to operate on the GMRS freqs. GMRS has been for licensed, personal use only for some time now.

ImTheWeasel

Yes im aware you need a license to operate on GMRS. I told my APT complex about that, and they said they didnt care. The tech school however is licensed last i heard, may not be now; its been a couple years since i was there. Also we all know that Wal-mart will sell GMRS radios TO ANYONE... and we all know that not everyone reads the licensing info and actually purchases a license to operate... they just let their kids run around with them. And i have yet to read anything about the FCC tracking down someone using a GMRS radio and ticketing them for it... Not saying they wouldnt/couldnt however.

:eek:

Gilligan

Database Admin
See if you can borrow someone's scanner w/ close call or signal stalker for a day. Then have someone watch the radio while you ask the school official to look at their radio. "Accidiently" key it up or wait until they do. Mention you are wondering what kind of range they get or something so they don't know you're trying to nail their freq. And don't forget to turn the channel dial if they have one. Good luck.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Chev_am: I'd say just scan a good portion of the itinerant UHF business frequencies. (This is unless of course they are licensed otherwise.)

Chev_am

They don't have Motorolas now, they've upgraded to....

Kenwood TK-360

FCC Number ALHTK-320-1

Serial Number 00200803

Status
Not open for further replies.