School Local Emergency Alert System

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowand

Dear Forum,
I’m in the process of gathering information in preparation of installing a low-band receiver, and a weather radio in one of our county’s new schools. A few years ago I installed around 60 units in every school in the county. Very expensive low-band antennas were ordered, which were also transmit capable, and solid center RG58 was the co-ax used. All I need is a good, if not the best, receiving antenna, co-ax and connectors. I plan to T the co-ax into the low-band receiver, and also into a NOAA Weather Radio. The antenna will be on a 3 story building, directly above the radio. I thought I’d bring my enquiry to the forum for discussion, and hopefully suggestions on a good antenna and co-ax. The low-band radio is 45.48 MHz.

In summary, here are my general questions:
1) Which type of antenna would be the best to use?
2) What would be the best co-ax (i.e., solid center? Braided?) ?
3) Any suggestions on connectors?

Thanks for your time!

SAR923

Can you give us some more information about this low band system. Is it repeater or simplex? What frequency? How far is the furthest school from the transmitter? How well can you receive this system with just a portable scanner and the standard rubber duck? How far away are the schools for the NOAA receiver? Can they be received with a portable scanner and the standrard rubber duck? I'm assuming you only need to monitor the low band system, not transmit.

Since your location is the Nashville area, it seems like you should have excellent coverage for NOAA broadcasts without any external antenna. Unless you're talking about some pretty long distances, you shou be able to receive low band signals with a telescoping antenna. I'm wondering why you need rooftop antennas at all? Just seems to be a lightning hazard that needs some heavy duty grounding compared to some simple indoor antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.