School me on outdoor antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I own three handheld scanners. Most recent purchase is 436HP. I monitor digital P2 system but I am moving to the county from city and want to be able to pick up digital and analog communications. I know nothing about outdoor antennas.
Not looking to spend a lot, but any pointers? Height, type, powered?
Furthest digital tower I'd like to pick up will 30 miles away. I pick up some clear transmissions now at that distance with RS 800mhz ducky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Amplified antennas are generally not helpful in urban settings. Your biggest problem is likely to be overloading and interference from pager, TV, and commercial FM transmitters.

Higher is better. Type depends on frequency band(s) you want to hear, and whether simulcast is involved.

Will you own or rent?

What kind of antenna mast can you install without getting in trouble with neighbors / HOA?

Dog

Not looking to spend a lot, but any pointers? Height, type, powered?

"a lot" is relative. What one person thinks is a lot someone else thinks is pocket change.

Height, yes... the more the better. The higher you go the more expensive everything gets. Ideally you want to be above any "close" obstruction. Roof lines, chimneys, tree, other buildings, etc. That isn't always possible or convenient. The higher you go the "better" the coax needs to be, the more expensive everything is.

If this is just a hobby I would shoot to get close to or above the roof line with the shortest coax run you can manage.

If you only want to listen to one system them a directional antenna would be best. If you want to search and play with everything then a omni directional antenna would be best.

Everything is going to be a compromise so you have to make some decisions and you will have to do some experimentation but if you want to listen to 800 MHz systems then I would research antennas for that area and learn the compromises in other areas of the band.

Amplifiers also amplify the noise. Unless you are way out in the country I would experiment with that later.

WeBeCinYa

Thanks for all the info. I am moving to the country, and pick up the close by analog freq fine, its just the 800mhz I would really like to hear that is 30 miles away. I own the house, no HOA, on 5 acres so only thing around me is trees, and I am at a slightly higher elevation vs the road. I will start investigating 800mhz antennas.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
invest in an 800 mhz directional beam and point it in the direction of the tower you want to listen to.

robertcansler

824-896, 6dB, Laird Omni Base Antenna

this is the antenna i use from scanner master. it is 65 ft in the air and i get excellent service from it eith little maintannce. cost is 189.95

bob cansler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.