School Me on Sacramento Area scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sccafire

Ok I have done a couple of searches and there is a lot of "lingo" I dont understand. I do know that that the trunking system has changed from doing my searches. I had my scanner set to the old system and wondered why I didnt hear anything (turned it on after about 5 years of no use.) I have an old Uniden BC235XLT. I mainly want to listen to SFD, SMFD.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento scanning

Gee are you trying to listen to the old UHF frequencies, or are you monitoring the TRS but have the wrong TGs programmed?

Generally speaking there are two sites for the Sacramento TRS, each uses one of four control channels. Either program in the 4 control channel frequencies for the site closest to you, or both sets. Next check the database and make sure you have the correct TGs programmed, they changed them a few years ago so the TGs used by the county and the TGs used by the city did not conflict.You can still pick up Sacramento City Fire dispatch on 153.890; or it is simulcast on the TRS (B1). And you can still pick up Sacramento Metro Fire on 154.190; or it is simulcast on the TRS (A1).

Last edited:

Sac916

Ok I have done a couple of searches and there is a lot of "lingo" I dont understand. I do know that that the trunking system has changed from doing my searches. I had my scanner set to the old system and wondered why I didnt hear anything (turned it on after about 5 years of no use.) I have an old Uniden BC235XLT. I mainly want to listen to SFD, SMFD.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Sounds like you have the old Talk Group ID (TGID) programmed into your scanner.

For example, if you wanted to monitor Sac Sheriff Channel 1.
Go to the database @ http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4499

Make sure you have ALL of the freqs programmed into your scanner from the Site 002 table.
You will then have to reprogram all of your TGID to the new TGID

For example if you had the old Sac Sheriff ID 8208 programmed into your BC235, you'll want to change it to 61552

If you want to program Sac Police Channel 1, you want to make sure you have all the freqs from Site 001 table programmed into your scanner. If you had old Sac PD TGID 48, it'll will now be TGID 60304

Site 001 and Site 002 will have to be programmed into TWO different Banks on your BC235, within those banks you can create your Talk Group ID lists.

The very basic generalized rule is that Site 001 is Sac PD, Sac City Fire (Fire B), West Sac and Elk Grove.
Site 002 is pretty much everything else; Sac Sheriff, Sac County Fire (Fire A), Citrus Heights PD, Folsom, etc.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The very basic generalized rule is that Site 001 is Sac PD, Sac City Fire (Fire B), West Sac and Elk Grove.
Site 002 is pretty much everything else; Sac Sheriff, Sac County Fire (Fire A), Citrus Heights PD, Folsom, etc.
In reality most TGs are on BOTH sites. I've olny found a few TGs which appear on just one of the sites. For example I monitor Sac City PD, West Sac, Folsom, Elk Grove, Citrus Heights and all fire dispatch from the county site. So whether or not you need to monitor both sites depends on where you are and what specific TGs you want to monitor.

Sccafire

That makes alot more sence now. Yes I had the old TGID. I did find the new ones on this website. I now know the difference between the sites. Another question. Are the Fire Dept. Tac channels on the same site? one last question. Are the control channels the freq's that make all the noise? If so if I put site 001 and all four CC's and site 002 with all CC's that would help?

You have all been a great help and it is not as confusing as I thought.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento TRS

Another question. Are the Fire Dept. Tac channels on the same site?
Same site as what? I've found that the "B" tac channels are only on the city sites.

Are the control channels the freq's that make all the noise?
LOL. Yes.

If so if I put site 001 and all four CC's and site 002 with all CC's that would help?
I think you're asking whether it makes any difference if you program ALL frequencies of a TRS or just the control channels. The simple answer is no. I use GRE scanners, while you are using Uniden and they do work a little differently. What I have done is program ALL TRS frequencies for BOTH sites into my scanners. But I have the non CC channels locked out. This way the scanner does not have to "wade" through them while scanning, yet I have them available if I want them.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
With the 235 you will need to program ALL the frequencies from site 1 in one bank and ALL the frequencies from site 2 in another bank. The 235 will not allow you to scan both systems at the same time.

Sccafire

Again thanks for the help. I have it figured out (I think.) A question reguarding the Command and Tac channels for SFD and SMFD. I hear the dispaches but do not hear any on-scene radio talk. What do I need to do to be able to hear that?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Fire Tac channels

Again thanks for the help. I have it figured out (I think.) A question reguarding the Command and Tac channels for SFD and SMFD. I hear the dispaches but do not hear any on-scene radio talk. What do I need to do to be able to hear that?
Are you picking up fire dispatch on their VHF frequencies? Or A1 & B1 on the TRS? or both? If you are picking up dispatches on A1 & B1, then you need to first program in the correct talkgroup IDs for tac channels B2-B12 & A2-A12. Next, if the tac channel being used is B#, then try monitoring for it on a city site first. If the tac channel being used is A#, then try monitoring for it on a county site first.

The first tac channel assigned by Metro fire is typically A6, TG 53360
The first tac channel assigned by Sac City Fire is typically B6, TG 59408 but they also use 47664 (patched B6).
West Sacramento Fire Tac 1 is TG 64272

Sccafire

I can pick up dispatch on VHF and A1/B1. I think I figured it out. I will just put both dispatch TGID's on both Site 001 and 002 that way I should be able to get it straight. OK I think what is happpening is I put dispatch and command/tach ID's for SMFD on county freq's but only hear SMFD dispatch but if I go to city freq's I can here SMFD command/tach and not dispatch. I might have my bands mixed up on the scanner will check that too.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sccafire, you'll find that both city fire & metro fire are dispatched on both sites. The way I've programmed my scanners is that I've ignored sites. I just program the scanner like all TGs I want to hear could be on any site. I recommend that you program all fire channels (A1-A15 & B1-B15) for each site/bank/etc. That way you'll have all your bases covered. And don't forget the B6 patch TG.

What's Code 1000? They just announced one...
A signal 1000 is a low jack signal. I suspect you heard this on an LE TG and not a fire TG.

Status
Not open for further replies.