School me on the EDA2400

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this is stupid question, but in researching different multicoupler solutions, I am left with a few questions. My knowledge of multicouplers is lacking.

I was originally planning to buy an Stridsberg multicoupler, but in reading some various posts I am seeing that while nice, they may be a waste of money for my application. I am now looking at the Electroline EDA2400 and/or 2800. I will be feeding 2 Homepatrol 2's into this and maybe a couple BCD996XT's.

My main questions are:

1) I see that power is fed into the EDA2400 from a wall wart via coax, and that power is present on the output of one of the ports. Is is still okay to connect a scanner to this powered port or should I just use the other 3 to avoid damaging the scanner?

2) Is it necessary to terminate the unused ports with a dummy load or some kind?

Thanks!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
1. That port is an optional way to power the unit. So it’s a power input, not output.
2. I always terminate unused ports to keep out stray RF….but that’s just me.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
1. That port is an optional way to power the unit. So it’s a power input, not output.
2. I always terminate unused ports to keep out stray RF….but that’s just me.

Thanks! So just confirming that the "OUT1+PWR" on the bottom left doesn't actually have any power, that is just an optional power input?

20230308_150231.jpg

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I’d lean toward the 8 port at 4db gain instead. I have tried the 7.5db splitter and it was too hot for the scanners. It overloaded the front end especially on GRE scanners.