SCHP Troop 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I ran into the same issue recently; I had fumbled and enabled the attenuator. Your situation may well be totally different, but that was my issue. It fooled me, as some ot vhf comms were coming through--but 800 mhz was absent.
I am receiving some P25 that uses the same tower as SCHP, but I am not hearing them.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can verify that I've heard plenty of SCHP Spartanburg dispatch off the Spartanburg site, which is in Troop 3, since this thread was started. But I generally don't monitor other Troop 3 dispatch channels. So I can't answer your specific question about Anderson dispatch.

SCHP is using more channel patching these days, including in Troop 3. This means that the Dispatch talkgroups are being joined together by the dispatchers at the console. This is because they don't always have (or ever have) enough dispatchers working to cover each dispatch channel simultaneously. So they patch talkgroups together so that a single dispatcher can handle multiple dispatch channels. When a patch (or a multi-select) is established, one talkgroup becomes the "supergroup" and is the talkgroup that will show as active on a scanner. Patching (and multi-selecting) is transparent to the subscriber radio users (aka troopers).

You might want to check how your radio handles patching. Most "modern" scanners support it - meaning, if Anderson and Greenville dispatch groups are patched together and Greenville is the "supergroup", if you have both talkgroups programmed and not locked out, your radio will typically show activity on the Greenville talkgroup. If you have the Anderson dispatch group enabled, but Greenville locked out, you still should hear the traffic on the Anderson group. On my GRE/RadioShack scanners, I see a "ptch" displayed when this happens.

If you have this feature disabled on your radio, or your radio doesn't support it, this could be why you're missing traffic. Trying programming and unlocking all SCHP troop 3 dispatch groups, and listen closely to see if you hear calls dispatched for the Anderson area on either the Greenville or Pickens/Oconee groups.

DBrianB

Are you receiving Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens?
I pick up SCHP just fine on my whistler trx1 and my bearcat sds 200. My older Whistler 1065 stopped picking up the voice on palmetto 800 awhile back. It recognizes the when there is activity and list the talk group and other info but no voice. Habersham Georgia has a p25 system I can pick up in Oconee county, I hear the voice on there with the whistler 1065. So it’s something with the palmetto 800. Like I said my sds200 and trx1 pics it up just fine.

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I pick up SCHP just fine on my whistler trx1 and my bearcat sds 200. My older Whistler 1065 stopped picking up the voice on palmetto 800 awhile back. It recognizes the when there is activity and list the talk group and other info but no voice. Habersham Georgia has a p25 system I can pick up in Oconee county, I hear the voice on there with the whistler 1065. So it’s something with the palmetto 800. Like I said my sds200 and trx1 pics it up just fine.
It maybe my radio going bad. I have been considering getting a bcd-996P2 soon.

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I can verify that I've heard plenty of SCHP Spartanburg dispatch off the Spartanburg site, which is in Troop 3, since this thread was started. But I generally don't monitor other Troop 3 dispatch channels. So I can't answer your specific question about Anderson dispatch.

SCHP is using more channel patching these days, including in Troop 3. This means that the Dispatch talkgroups are being joined together by the dispatchers at the console. This is because they don't always have (or ever have) enough dispatchers working to cover each dispatch channel simultaneously. So they patch talkgroups together so that a single dispatcher can handle multiple dispatch channels. When a patch (or a multi-select) is established, one talkgroup becomes the "supergroup" and is the talkgroup that will show as active on a scanner. Patching (and multi-selecting) is transparent to the subscriber radio users (aka troopers).

You might want to check how your radio handles patching. Most "modern" scanners support it - meaning, if Anderson and Greenville dispatch groups are patched together and Greenville is the "supergroup", if you have both talkgroups programmed and not locked out, your radio will typically show activity on the Greenville talkgroup. If you have the Anderson dispatch group enabled, but Greenville locked out, you still should hear the traffic on the Anderson group. On my GRE/RadioShack scanners, I see a "ptch" displayed when this happens.

If you have this feature disabled on your radio, or your radio doesn't support it, this could be why you're missing traffic. Trying programming and unlocking all SCHP troop 3 dispatch groups, and listen closely to see if you hear calls dispatched for the Anderson area on either the Greenville or Pickens/Oconee groups.
Thank you! I believe it's time for a new radio.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Your radio might be going bad. Currently right now I'm on the Greenville County Simulcast. And I'm Trunking and picking up Spartanburg, Anderson, Pickens-Oconee, Abbeville-Greenwood, Newberry-Laurens, Edgefield-Saluda, Greenville. I get hits on all these channels on the Greenville County Tower. If I flip to Anderson Tower I can only hear Anderson, Greenville

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
Your radio might be going bad. Currently right now I'm on the Greenville County Simulcast. And I'm Trunking and picking up Spartanburg, Anderson, Pickens-Oconee, Abbeville-Greenwood, Newberry-Laurens, Edgefield-Saluda, Greenville. I get hits on all these channels on the Greenville County Tower. If I flip to Anderson Tower I can only hear Anderson, Greenville
I plan on buying me another radio soon and a new yagi antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.