Schuykill County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeni

Firefighters Closer To Using New Emergency Radios - PAHomepage.com

"Firefighters Closer To Using New Emergency Radios

Pottsville, Schuylkill County - Firefighters in Schuylkill County are one step closer to using new emergency radios.

On Monday night a number of fire officials attended a training on the new radios.

Late last year Schuylkill County Commissioners approved more than $5-million in funding to buy the radios.

The radios are being installed to meet a federal communications mandate.

The new digital system allows for firefighters, police and EMS to talk together.

More firefighters will be trained on the radios later this month.

Officials hope to have the radios operational in the beginning of April."

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
No such mandate. The only mandate was to go narrow band over a year ago. Just more wool trying to be pulled over the Schuykill County Taxpayers eyes!

skook

Premium Subscriber
Hi all... new here. I've used the DB and read the forums but now I must speak.

The P25 system is going live in Schuylkill County and Green's (Schuylkill Mobile Fone) is at the helm. I as a fire officer did not receive a radio under the grant so now I'm in the dark as far as communications go. I can purchase my own APX6000 at the cost of around $6000 from Green's and they will program it for me (cost unknown). I asked Bob Green personally one day if I were to purchase an APX6000 elsewhere if he would program it and he said yes he would. I have a friend who works at the 911 center and he swears Green's will NOT program a radio bought outside of their company. I found APX's on eBay for around $2200 which is a much cheaper alternative, but I hate to waste the money if they're not going to program it.
The problems are deeper than this. Green's likes to have control of EVERYTHING. Any radio they program they password protect so you have to bring it back to them. We are still forced to use alphanumeric pagers and Green's password protects them as well. They keep the CAP codes secret, although some people have used software to decode the OTA TX's and figure out their CAP codes. We are forced to live under Bob Green's thumb and it is total BS. You can't go anywhere else to get a radio or pager. He keeps everything lock-and-key secret so he maintains his monopoly on the airwaves. I have a very good feeling that Scott Krater and the commissioners get paid very well to keep it that way too. Something has to be done.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I find it pretty amazing that Schuylkill County needs to encrypt there system, while NYPD and LAPD are not encrypted.

The Attorney General should get involved here

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
As much as I agree on the listen side of things, there is NOTHING that says the county can't encrypt everything. That's their preference. The AG can't make them decrypt their system so the public can listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.