• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scored a free vintage linear amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPR1981

Last night, a friend of mine who had given me a bunch of old CB gear and promised more when he dug through the mountains of things he's accumulated through the years texted me yesterday morning telling me he had more stuff for me. Like a kid in a candy store, waiting all day for him to get off work felt like an eternity. He said that he "thought" there was a linear.

Of course my excitement then just grew exponentially.

Got to his house last night and was handed a compact Cobra 19 DXIII, a nice compact Midland 40 channel mobile, a classic cobra coffin mic, an Astatic Road King power mic, two 3-foot coax patch cords and, the linear I photographed.

Dubbed "The Page 75" by "Electronics Unlimited" in Lebanon, Tennessee, this old unit appears to be at least 100 watts, possibly 150 PEP. I cannot say specifically because I have not yet gotten a new set of meters to replace the ones I gave away when I got out of CB. I've only been back into CB radio for a couple months.

In any event, I hooked it up to my 30-amp power supply and the pilot light did not come on. I hooked up one of the mobile radios to it, and the antenna, and keyed the mic.

No relay click. Not a good sign. Time to pull the cover.

Andddddd, it's riveted on, dammit. At this point I grab the drill.

I drilled out the rivets and pulled the cover. A visual inspection showed nothing that appeared burned, nothing that smelled burned, and it was surprisingly clean inside.

I took the top of my screwdriver and tapped both relays a few times. Keyed the mic, and lo and behold, it's clicking beautifully!

Again, with no RF power meter at my disposal, I checked voltage throughout. I had 13.6v at the traces where the power wires connect to the board, and I had the appropriate voltage at all the switch points, and even to the pilot light.

This morning I conversed with some truckers on 19 and they said I sounded good. It built a reasonable amount of heat on the heatsink like a linear should with extended periods of being keyed up.

The preamp does NOT work at all. Flipping the switch on and off does nothing to change the strength of the RX. I'm not sure what it would take to fix that, but having a preamp is useful. I do have one of those Workman Lil Preamp kits that are made to be installed inside a radio. I wonder if it could be installed in it??

I ordered a set of PDC 600s, but in the meantime, I ordered new 12V LED pilot light replacements.

I researched the "pills" inside this amp. They're Motorola MRF450A NPN Silicon Power Transistors, rated at 50w. Replacements would be $37.50 apiece if it needed them.

Hopefully when my meters get here, I will be happy to see this unit performing.

Attachments

• Lin2.jpg
    Lin2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Lin1.jpg
    Lin1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 78

RFI-EMI-GUY

"The Page 75" by "Electronics Unlimited" "

I wonder if that referred to one of Motorola Semiconductor Data Books? They had some nice application notes that included "HF" linear amplifiers?

FPR1981

"The Page 75" by "Electronics Unlimited" "

I wonder if that referred to one of Motorola Semiconductor Data Books? They had some nice application notes that included "HF" linear amplifiers?

That's interesting.

I noted that the Motorola pills are high quality, but also wondered based on the size of the coils in this thing if I could upgrade those pills to something slightly larger, like the MRF 454, MRF455 or MRF460.

WB9YBM

I heard a story a few years ago that some users of amps got caught not because of the power per se', but because the amps they were using didn't have output filtering (low-pass). You might want to make sure it's got filtering...(no, I'm not endorsing anything illegal--just sayin' from a technical/electronics standpoint...)

RFI-EMI-GUY

I heard a story a few years ago that some users of amps got caught not because of the power per se', but because the amps they were using didn't have output filtering (low-pass). You might want to make sure it's got filtering...(no, I'm not endorsing anything illegal--just sayin' from a technical/electronics standpoint...)

Not that I would ever do that, but a medium power RM Italy amplifier followed by a bandpass or lowpass filter seems prudent. You don't want to be heard on the local ATC approach frequencies from an aircraft 100 miles out.

Status
Not open for further replies.