Scott County comm upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I saw a news report (KFVS 12) today about a recent upgrade to the Sheriff's communication system that has effectively eliminated all dead spots within the county.

Does anybody have any more information about this system upgrade? Is it still VHF analog? Did they go to a digital trunking system? Are there new frequencies in use?

semo

I missed the KFVS 12 story but, I would guess it would involve the adding of 155.12250 WQIA639 at Scott City earlier this year. 155.56500 KAK611 is still used also. 155.1225 is now the Scott County North Dispatch for the Scott City area and 155.565 is for the South end of the County around the Sikeston area. 155.56500 used to be used for the whole county. Having two of its biggest cities in opposite ends of the county used to cause radio problems.

semo

Thanks for the link. I am sure part of the upgrades is the new tower at Scott City, as it is the easiest way to cure dead spots. But, I am not sure what is meant by it meets federal requirements to upgrade radios. I was not aware of such requirements and not sure what constitutes an upgrade. As far as I can tell they still use the conventional frequencies as in the past.

mjthomas59

I've been corrected on this in the past so hopefully i get it right this time. Radios have to be narrowband capable as of the year 2013 per federal guidelines. That is probably what they are refering to by being "compliant".

Now whether or not they changed their transmit frequencies I don't know, and I personally doubt as the entire fleet of radios would need to be changed more or less at the same time and reprogrammed. Plus the dispatch centers may also need upgrading as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.