scotts bluff county going encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got word that in 9 months soonest to 1.5 years latest all scotts bluff county agencies will go full time encryption. they are building out an 800mhz trs and will be connecting to the state radio system at which point they will begin to encrypt. a lot of the rank and file are not happy about it but the bosses at the top want it so they will go.

well another one bites the dust.

starwtc

Years ago when the state wanted everyone to go to 800 scottsbluff county jumped on the bandwagon. They tried encryption then and it was a unreliable. Hubbard hill tower left out a lot of county coverage do to terrain. Now there's a state system that works and again they want to be big dog and and bypass what works. Glad I moved so my taxes wouldn't be wasted again. One more thing, if broadcastify would have a 30 minute delay, the demand for encryption might not be that important, everyone has a phone, not a scanner. I spent $ on my hobby, why would I give my hobby out for free over the web! Let those who want to listen buy their own scanner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One more thing, if broadcastify would have a 30 minute delay, the demand for encryption might not be that important,

The requirements for encryption are based on protecting personal info. The FBI has this in their documentation and it's been a loose requirement for a while. It has nothing to do with Broadcastify, and a 30 minute delay would not meet the FBI requirements.

Properly implemented encryption does not impact reliability or interoperability.

as the O.P., i meant this to be a news item and not a debate on encryption or broadcastify. if admin could please lock the thread before it devolves it would be much appreciated. thank you.

Riresj

Feed Provider
The comments above sum up the frustration of everybody. Look at our feed: we encrypt it all but then deliver out to Broadcastify 30 minutes delayed. We're doing our best balancing the needs of the community. We'd embrace a journey back to the good old days and share it all. Sadly, the hobbyists are only one group that enjoys monitoring. If (perhaps when) Broadcastify is the only monitoring source, then things may change. As long as a criminal can purchase inexpensive SDRs (an excellent insurance policy for them) departments have no choice but keeping vital communications out of the clear. The old adage about the would-be bad-guy not being able to "outrun the radio" still has implications today. Would-be criminals have little incentive to use Broadcastify. Trunk Scanners and SDRs will alway provide them with a better answer than Broadcastify.

the only questions remaining (and i forgot to ask these questions to the individual who told me all of this) is will airlink (462.975) and other agencies such as roads, handibus, etc migrate to the new 800 TRS scotts bluff is building and whether they will be in the clear or encrypted as well.

from what i gleaned all the city county public safety (Fire/PD/Sheriff) will encrypt but again i forgot to ask if the non public safety agencies will encrypt as well as migrate to the new system.

also what else will remain here to listen to (besides ham) when scottsbluff goes dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.