SCPD codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanm214

Anyone know what it means when Suffolk police on Long Island say “switch north” on radio. I’m assuming it means they’re switching to car to car frequency but I’m not sure which band that is. Anyone know?
Thanks

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
It's a system wide unit to unit talkgroup.

If you look in the database you'll find it under Mutual Aid
Talkgroups labeled Countywide North (and there is also a
Countywide South).

The description in the database is outdated and is from when
the system was new. Those talkgroups are now referred to as
PD North and PD South and are displayed that way on the
PD radios.

Car to Car does exist. It's a simplex channel with very limited range.
It's in the database too, right at the beginning of the Suffolk County
listings under Law Enforcement.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup 48240 on the Suffolk Motorola type II system is "Suffolk Countywide North". 48016 is South.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
North and South are "switch downs" so units can talk without having to tie up the respective dispatch talkgroup. Pcts 1, 3, 5 use South and 2, 4, 6 switch north. I'm not sure about the 7th. Other commands like ES, Hwy and K-9 will just specify what to switch to. Usually the LIE is the dividing line between the two.

North and South are through the system, so it can be heard countywide. Car to Car is not repeated, its simplex so its range is limited, usually a mile or less on mobiles and even shorter on portables.

15plus1

North and South are "switch downs" so units can talk without having to tie up the respective dispatch talkgroup. Pcts 1, 3, 5 use South and 2, 4, 6 switch north. I'm not sure about the 7th. Other commands like ES, Hwy and K-9 will just specify what to switch to. Usually the LIE is the dividing line between the two.

North and South are through the system, so it can be heard countywide. Car to Car is not repeated, its simplex so its range is limited, usually a mile or less on mobiles and even shorter on portables.
7th pct usually uses the LIE as the dividing line as to whether to use North or South. Generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.