Scrambling and Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I tune into a channel with people talking, after a few seconds, it gets cut off mid conversation, and goes dead. I search ahead, and then the same conversation is found on a different channel, and even a different tone. Is this a method of scrambling or encryption that one is not allowed to listen to? Or is it because the software is constantly allocating new radios? Noticing the changes in frequency and tone for the same conversation were not changing with an easily identifiable consistent pattern, it would take voice analysis verification unless it wasnt totally random based to predict and reprogram the scanner.

Let me know your thoughts on if this is considered an encryption or would one be allowed to make some modifications?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Which agency is this? What type of system?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
If you're hearing clear voice, it's likely not scrambled or encrypted comms. On analog systems, you'll get a buzzing sound if the comms are encrypted, or a more robotic sound if you're monitoring digital (almost sounds as if the conversation is underwater).

Comint

Premium Subscriber
When I tune into a channel with people talking, after a few seconds, it gets cut off mid conversation, and goes dead. I search ahead, and then the same conversation is found on a different channel, and even a different tone. Is this a method of scrambling or encryption that one is not allowed to listen to? Or is it because the software is constantly allocating new radios? Noticing the changes in frequency and tone for the same conversation were not changing with an easily identifiable consistent pattern, it would take voice analysis verification unless it wasnt totally random based to predict and reprogram the scanner.

Let me know your thoughts on if this is considered an encryption or would one be allowed to make some modifications?
When making such posts, it helps others to help you, if you indicate the Make and Model of Scanner you are using, and name the System you are having the problem with.

--
Comint

jackj

I think rfradioconsult has it right. It sounds like you're listening to an trunked analog system. As the mobile moves around the signal will very at the base receiver and the system will change to a channel that has a better signal. Also, they will change frequencies if the mobile enters a different tower's coverage area. You can follow these conversations using a trunking scanner.

Yes rfradioconsult, and jackj, I believe you are right. Was using a PSR 800 in the CONV, and this makes sense. These things are not as easy to program as claimed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.