Screech Ops anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

empireco

Just copied a UH-60 on 32.850 sounded like "Screech Ops, Screech Ops, this is Nominal Six Zero on Fox Mike"

Anyone have any idea where this could be? I monitored it from Central Kentucky and it seemed to be local, not skip. No other VHF Low freqs were coming in.

The pilot further advised he was about 13 Mikes out and would be on the ground in about 7 minutes.

Nothing on Adsb.

spacellamaman

RadioRelay

Premium Subscriber
Just copied a UH-60 on 32.850 sounded like "Screech Ops, Screech Ops, this is Nominal Six Zero on Fox Mike"

Anyone have any idea where this could be? I monitored it from Central Kentucky and it seemed to be local, not skip. No other VHF Low freqs were coming in.

The pilot further advised he was about 13 Mikes out and would be on the ground in about 7 minutes.

Nothing on Adsb.
---
This was finally identified as "Creech Ops" at Creech Army Airfield at Bluegrass Station, Lexington, KY. The airfield was originally constructed during WW2 & has recently been taken over as a heliport by Lockheed Martin. Lockheed has a facility at Bluegrass Station & does work on US Army SOF helos there.

empireco

I found it by zooming in on the helipad at Bluegrass Station Avon on ADSB Exchange. It very clearly says Creech Army Airfield.

I learned a lesson by posting here about it with the frequency included and wish I hadn't. I haven't heard anything on the frequency since I posted.

I should have just asked if anyone knew what Screech Ops was. The beginning of the transmission I heard was cut off and started with "Ops" and Ops blended in with Creech by the fast talking pilot making it sound like Screech.

Next time I find them I won't say anything. ;)

thezentree

I found it by zooming in on the helipad at Bluegrass Station Avon on ADSB Exchange. It very clearly says Creech Army Airfield.

I learned a lesson by posting here about it with the frequency included and wish I hadn't. I haven't heard anything on the frequency since I posted.

I should have just asked if anyone knew what Screech Ops was. The beginning of the transmission I heard was cut off and started with "Ops" and Ops blended in with Creech by the fast talking pilot making it sound like Screech.

Next time I find them I won't say anything. ;)

Hope I'm not out of line for asking this here, but that was 32.850 NFM, right? Mind sharing what kind of antenna you've got? I'm not terribly far from Bluegrass Station and see black helicopters fly by from time to time, and would love to try to pick up some chatter with this rtl-sdr I just got (found this thread by googing Creech freqs). I will say that lately I've not seen as much helicopter activity out that way, so don't beat yourself up too bad about posting the frequency - it's likely you haven't heard any more radio traffic just because there hasn't been any.

spacellamaman

I will say that lately I've not seen as much helicopter activity out that way, so don't beat yourself up too bad about posting the frequency - it's likely you haven't heard any more radio traffic just because there hasn't been any.

i think his regret was posting it somewhere a jerk like me might read it and reply to it. a common mistake.

empireco

Hope I'm not out of line for asking this here, but that was 32.850 NFM, right? Mind sharing what kind of antenna you've got? I'm not terribly far from Bluegrass Station and see black helicopters fly by from time to time, and would love to try to pick up some chatter with this rtl-sdr I just got (found this thread by googing Creech freqs). I will say that lately I've not seen as much helicopter activity out that way, so don't beat yourself up too bad about posting the frequency - it's likely you haven't heard any more radio traffic just because there hasn't been any.

Thanks for replying. Yes 32.850 NFM Mode. I use a Cushcraft AR6-Ringo for most of my VHF low band monitoring and that's what I picked helos up there on. The antenna is about 100 feet in the air and fed with LMR-400 Coax.

I've seen plenty helo activity there since I reported the freq, I watch helos take off and land there all the time on ADSB Exchange
went up there one day and watched helo takeoff. I've heard nothing else on the freq. I did find their AWOS freq while there with my Uniden 325 P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.