Screeching Audio!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an Uniden BCD396XT last month. So far so good. I love the little scanner.

Just a catch. The digital audio hurts my ears! It screeches and makes me turn it down.

What could that be? I tried turning on the P25 LP Filter but that didn't do much.

I figure I have to alter some settings but I'd like some suggestions before I mess up the audio.

Thanks!

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Does it do it on all systems or just a certain one?

Does the screeching happen at the end of the tx or through the entire tx?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Does it do it on all systems or just a certain one?

Does the screeching happen at the end of the tx or through the entire tx?

I think it only does it on the Highway Patrol P25 system in our state. The screeching comes and goes. Not every transmission either.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Mostly likely it may be the system. I would think if it was a radio setting it would do it every time across all P25 systems.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
It may be that you are receiving a marginal signal. When my 396 doesn't have a strong enough signal it stops decoding audio and can create "wierd" screeching sounds. It also does this sometimes when it detects an encrypted signal just before it squelches up..

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Mostly likely it may be the system. I would think if it was a radio setting it would do it every time across all P25 systems.

Thanks for the reply. It might be just a problem with that system. But I get a lot of underwater talking on others which seems to be "normal".

It may be that you are receiving a marginal signal. When my 396 doesn't have a strong enough signal it stops decoding audio and can create "wierd" screeching sounds. It also does this sometimes when it detects an encrypted signal just before it squelches up..

Ahh..yes that could be it. I'm not getting a full signal bar and the error rate might be going up. I'll fix that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.