Screen Color/Contrast with BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Re: BCD996P2 / Out of all the COLORS you can set screen to, I have found that GREEN and CYAN are the only colors that I can clearly see with BLACK TEXT over them. Has anyone also noticed the OTHER COLORS are VERY DARK and even adjusting contrast, black text makes it VERY hard to see. This is too bad cause the other colors would be nice to use but with BLACK text on a DARK background, this doesn't seem to make sense unless we had ability to CHANGE TEXT to WHITE! I tried to play with CONTRAST but it doesnt do anything to help. I understand any upgrades (firmware) probably won't happen, but a redo of color scheme would be nice. I am probably the only one complaining of this. But it would be nice to have option of changing text to WHITE if we are stuck with these DARK background colors. :confused:

626hawkeye

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue. I still use the colors for quick reference in the dark but they are hard to see unless you're right on top of the screen. I also think the color should stay through full squelch and back on when its breaks squelch again.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue. I still use the colors for quick reference in the dark but they are hard to see unless you're right on top of the screen. I also think the color should stay through full squelch and back on when its breaks squelch again.
It just seems like a lame design. And the "contrast" option doesn't really help. I find, using green or cyan that contrast set on 6 or 7 looks best. And another thing is the way the text is structured in the LCD.....comprised of tiny little squares to make the text but there is a VERY VERY small gap between the squares which lets background color through making visibility even more weak, especially using colors like yellow and white for background. I have bad eye sight and if a call comes thru I'd like to be able to see who it is without squinting and getting my nose up close to screen to see!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have my background set to white and I find it perfectly readable. YMMV, of course.
I tried that too but there is a purplish/blueish tint to it....the "white" background doesn't look white....kind of murky off-white. I suppose there are limitations for designing and making LCD for high def quality. Especially on consumer grade stuff.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
My problem with the 996 isn't the colors as much as they only stay on that color for 2-3 seconds then it reverts back to the default color for the rest of the transmission. Any way I can get it to stay on the color through the whole transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.