screwed up my Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
Been trying to upgrade the firmware in my Pro 164 boot ver 1.01
Had to buy the Radio Shack cable since it wouldn't do anything with my other ham radio/scanner cables.
Plugged everything in, got the firmware upgrade software to recognize the comm port
hit the upgrade button
Scanner said "starting upgrade"
Software in the computer said " no data from scanner, retry from step 4"

Now all I get on the scanner is "Appl Ver: NONE"

Firmware upgrade says "The scanner currently contains no CPU application code"
and tells me to upgrade the firmware. But it won't let me.

I guess I'm seeking confirmation that I'm screwed. $35 for a rat shack cable to fry my scanner. Well done.

mikey60

Make sure when you attempt to update the firmware that you do not use the short 3" adapter cable that comes with the RS cable. It is not needed for the PRO-163/164.

Try the update again and you should be good to go.

Mike

Last edited:

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
How do I reset the scanner to factory settings? I've searched the .pdf of the manual and "reset" didn't give me an answer...

I did try the "initialization" sequence but it doens't even let me get to that.

Goes right into
"Boot Ver: F1.01
Appl Ver: NONE
CPU SW Upgrade
Wait for PC/IF

and stares at me, unblinking, unwaivering, malevolently....

Last edited:

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that makes sense but it won't let me.

There's no "install CPU firmware" on the Pro-164 support page. Only firmware "updates". And yes, I'be been trying them all - I had version 1.07 so I've tried 1.08 and up. Nada.

It does try - says "starting upgrade" then the computer software says "no data received from scanner" and tells me to start the process all over again.

Leaving now to get my money back on the RS cable. Anyone want to buy a Pro-164 brick?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider

There's no "install CPU firmware" on the Pro-164 support page. Only firmware "updates". And yes, I'be been trying them all - I had version 1.07 so I've tried 1.08 and up. Nada.

It does try - says "starting upgrade" then the computer software says "no data received from scanner" and tells me to start the process all over again.

Leaving now to get my money back on the RS cable. Anyone want to buy a Pro-164 brick?

What cable are you using? If you are using the MONO pigtail adapter, remove it, the program and scanner needs the stereo connection

MotownJG

Premium Subscriber
I sent the scanner back to Radio Shack to see what they could do with it. Cost me $20 and some aggravation trying to convince the store that the local manager had to do it - RS won't let me send it in on my own since its out of warranty.

Radio Shack says they replaced the logic board on the scanner. Total now due is $120. Heck a refurb costs $130! I also wish they'd asked me before doing something uneconomical like a $120 logic board replacement. The scanner itself cost me $199 a few years ago.

I just can't bring myself to pay that much since I didn't authorize an a mount that high. I just won't listen to trunked systems anymore. There aren't that many in my area anyway. Anybody want a fixed RS scanner its at the Radio Shack in Modesto at Oakdale and Scenic. FYI

sphipps

I'd be talking to the store manager or district manager regarding this issue. You must approve the estimate before repairs are conducted. They must return unrepaired items if you do not approve and request them back. I seriously think you need to state your case, request its return, and see what happens. That will probably confuse the heck out of them... but it's worth a shot.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

You never verified what several people told you about NOT using the short pigtail adapter cable that came with the RS cable you bought. That pigtail (stereo to mono cable) is only used with some of the older scanners.

That was likely the cause of the problem as it will only allow a one way conversation with most of the modern day GRE made scanners. In this case, the computer was talking to the scanner and the scanner heard it but the pigtail adapter kept the computer from hearing the scanner so the application failed when it did not get an ACK back from the scanner.
By that time, it was too late and the scanner had been committed to dump its eeprom data so it could accept the new code.
The GRE radios are virtually brickless as they contain a small amount of protected bootloader code that will always accept new FW after a failure.

I really doubt the radio needed a new logic board unless it was zapped by static when you jacked/unjacked the cable. I do know someone that did fry their radio from static when plugging in the programming cable so that is a possible cause of the problem. This guy lived in a house that was so dry that you had to walk around with a key in your hands so you would not get zapped when you touched anything in his place. I was surprised he had any working electronics really.

I also agree with the other poster and I'd complain if they did not ask for your approval before doing the repair. That is SOP for the RS repair centers as far as I know. The $20 covers the "estimate" and is applied to the repair should you chose to proceed. If not, they send your equipment back and you are out 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.