SD Card Access Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkowalik

Banned
Welp. Had my scanner running; turned it off to move it to a different room to upgrade the firmware and when I plugged it back in and turned it on, I'm getting "SD Card Access Error."

Anyone else seen this?

dfw1193

Seen it when it loses power before it completes sd card writing after it is turned off, happens almost everytime.

tkowalik

Banned
Seen it when it loses power before it completes sd card writing after it is turned off, happens almost everytime.

I turned it off and let it write before I unplugged it. If I keep turning it off and turning it on I can bring it back up once in a while.

dfw1193

Time to copy the card contents to your computer, reformat the sd card clear the user settings using sentenil and then recopy the saved info back onto the card and put it back in the unit. Its always good to keep a copy of the sd card contents on your computer for emergencies so you wont lose any info.

tkowalik

Banned
I reformatted the card (unchecked "Quick Format") and it seems to be working now. Only problem is before the card completely corrupted I tried to update the firmware. It downloaded but when it tried to restart, the Card Error came up. Now it wont update the firmware. I deleted the file out of the firmware folder and tried to re-download it but the scanner keeps showing the old firmware.

-_-

dfw1193

I think you need to delete the firmware folder and/or connect back to sentinel and under update check for new firmware again.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When you do/did reformatting, did you use SDFormatter? That is the recommended utility, rather than the Windows "thing"

tkowalik

Banned
I just reformatted using SDFormatter, cleared user data, and tried to update again but it will not take the firmware update. The scanner just reboots without applying the update.

Any other ideas?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just reformatted using SDFormatter, cleared user data, and tried to update again but it will not take the firmware update. The scanner just reboots without applying the update.

Any other ideas?

When you view the scanner's firmware version using the menu system on the scanner, what does it show for the firmware version that's presently in your scanner?

tkowalik

Banned
When you view the scanner's firmware version using the menu system on the scanner, what does it show for the firmware version that's presently in your scanner?

It was showing 1.07.04 but I just cleared the user data and settings on the scanner itself, then cleared it again on Sentinel and it worked like a charm. Looks like the SD card got corrupted somehow (I always turn off the scanner before I unplug it).

So far I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The factory SD Card in my SDS200 also bit the dust today. Last night I shut it down normally. When I switched it on today, I received the famous "SD Card Access Error". I attempted to resolve the problem with SDFormatter, but the tool won't even see the card. The Windows diskpart utility sees it, but it will not clean. Thankfully, I had a 2GB SD card from an older project and I was able to put my scanner back on-line. Am I missing any secret SD Card ninja tricks to revive the factory card?

I ordered this scanner from HRO on February 18th. That means this card wasn't even a month old and now it is dead. For long term sanity, I ordered a new 32GB Samsung Pro Endurance SD Card from Amazon today.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That sure seems awful fast for a new scanner's SD card to go bad without some precipitating event. Particularly since Uniden has started using the high endurance cards. Be interested in hearing if Upman has anything to say about this.

I'd suggest getting a spare card at any rate, as you've seen the value in having an extra.

tkowalik

Banned
When mine went down, I had to put the SD card in a camera to get it reformatted. It’s been working fine since I reformatted it.

I don’t know if it has anything to do with it going down but I had recording set to on when it went down. I’ve turned that off and it’s been fine.

edweirdFL

I also got errors on the stock SD card within a 2-3 weeks of use on my SDS200. I've since bought some larger brand name high endurance ones to use. I also wonder about the number of error reports concerning the Uniden supplied cards in these new radios.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Please keep in mind that usually the "sd card read error" message does not usually mean the SD card is ruined, and often times it can be fixed by using the clear user data steps in sentinel.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Please keep in mind that usually the "sd card read error" message does not usually mean the SD card is ruined, and often times it can be fixed by using the clear user data steps in sentinel.

UnidenSupport - The SD Card from my SDS200 cannot be read by the OS. Thus, it can't be cleared from Sentinel. Thankfully, I had a smaller backup card to use until my new one arrives from Amazon. As noted in my post above, my SDS200 is only three weeks old. Is this something that is covered by the Uniden SDS200 warranty? Either way, I am willing to mail it back to Uniden for your forensic inspection.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
UnidenSupport - The SD Card from my SDS200 cannot be read by the OS. Thus, it can't be cleared from Sentinel. Thankfully, I had a smaller backup card to use until my new one arrives from Amazon. As noted in my post above, my SDS200 is only three weeks old. Is this something that is covered by the Uniden SDS200 warranty? Either way, I am willing to mail it back to Uniden for your forensic inspection.
We will send out replacement SD cards under the terms of our warranty.

Just to be clear, you did also click the box that says display all drives and then try refreshing? If you did and are not seeing that, then yes, it should be reformat before you attempt the clear user data steps again. Regardless, the post sounded like your SD card is bad every time you see the "sd card read error" and I wanted to make sure anyone having the problem knew that was not the case.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
We will send out replacement SD cards under the terms of our warranty.

Just to be clear, you did also click the box that says display all drives and then try refreshing? If you did and are not seeing that, then yes, it should be reformat before you attempt the clear user data steps again. Regardless, the post sounded like your SD card is bad every time you see the
"sd card read error" and I wanted to make sure anyone having the problem knew that was not the case.

UnidenSupport - Yes, I clicked the box that says display all drives and then I tried to refresh the list. Results: Zero. Sentinel does not see this SD Card so it can be cleared. This card is dead.

What is the process for replacing this card under warranty? How do I contact Uniden for this warranty action? I sent a message to the UnidenSupport account via Forums > Conversations, but haven't heard back from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.