SD Card Corrupt Due To Power Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve2fet

This is just sloppy thought on the software, firmware and hardware developers. I can go by a $35 digital camera that will give me far less headaches than these $500-$600 scanners and I can format the memory cards directly in the camera using on screen menus and prompts.

Lets get with the 21st century and not require owners to run DOS commands and FORTRAN just to get the scanner to work after a power failure!

I agree 200% IF UNIDEN needed an internal battery just to close the files open or terminate the writing operations on the SD card in case of power lost, they HAD to do it...

LOSING POWER is part of NORMAL OPERATIONS...

Amazing they let us purchase this? I'm now stuck with an light boat anchor and STILL NO iOS apps on the TOP of that.

Where are the instruction on what to do now?? Can not format the SD card, can't bring the scanner back to life, what a ... design!!!

We should return all our units, I'm not "happy" I think you understand.

doctordave

It's worth pointing out that I've had 2 seemingly spontaneous, non-recoverable SD card corruptions with my 536 radios - but I've also had exactly 2 such events with my GRE-800 radios. It will be interesting to see, over time, if the card failure rate is any higher on the Uniden side of the equation. I've taken Troy's (Troymail) suggestion and have programmed up spare cards - and have these strategically located near all of my 536 and 800 radios. Not sure what the cards are running at retail places - but I found them for around $5 each on Amazon.

wa2sqq

I’ve been reading through this entire thread after experiencing an SD card failure last night. I actually posted a message about another problem which I’m now fairly certain is related. I noticed my 536 was experiencing a very slow keyboard response time, up to 1.5 seconds. After finding others who were having this problem I posted it to the bug report section. I was told, “The audio recording function was always ON and eventually the 4 GB card will fill up. This would cause slow response.” It was suggested I use a larger card, so the slow down would occur less often. I got home and looked at the card which showed it was FULL. Inserted it back into the 536 and experienced the read error. Card can’t be reformatted and is otherwise DOA.

I suspect that when the card is full it can’t write the data that occurs when the radio is turned on and it corrupts the cards file structure. Adding insult to injury, the radio does not let you know when your card is “FULL” or even nearly full. I’m not even sure you can clear the audio files w/o having a PC connected. Purge your card regularly and I’d bet the problems go away. I’ve now been on HOLD for 1 HOUR trying to get a replacement SD card – UNBELIEVABLE! I’m tired of hearing “we realize your time is valuable!”

dmdx86

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been reading through this entire thread after experiencing an SD card failure last night. I actually posted a message about another problem which I’m now fairly certain is related. I noticed my 536 was experiencing a very slow keyboard response time, up to 1.5 seconds. After finding others who were having this problem I posted it to the bug report section. I was told, “The audio recording function was always ON and eventually the 4 GB card will fill up. This would cause slow response.” It was suggested I use a larger card, so the slow down would occur less often. I got home and looked at the card which showed it was FULL. Inserted it back into the 536 and experienced the read error. Card can’t be reformatted and is otherwise DOA.

I suspect that when the card is full it can’t write the data that occurs when the radio is turned on and it corrupts the cards file structure. Adding insult to injury, the radio does not let you know when your card is “FULL” or even nearly full. I’m not even sure you can clear the audio files w/o having a PC connected. Purge your card regularly and I’d bet the problems go away. I’ve now been on HOLD for 1 HOUR trying to get a replacement SD card – UNBELIEVABLE! I’m tired of hearing “we realize your time is valuable!”

The replay function is always on, but this will not come close to filling up the SD card. The replay function has a value (number of seconds) to determine how much audio is recorded.

The record function (which is a different function than replay) is OFF by default, but you can check and see if it's enabled (unlikely though - you'd have to have set it up deliberately).

You are experiencing an issue that many, many people have reported - the SD card shipped with the 536/436 will become unusable after a period of time.

A replacement SD card from your local electronics store will probably be much less hassle than trying to get Uniden to send you a replacement. We have a suspicion that Uniden might be shipping counterfeit Sandisk cards, though that is only a supposition and not proven yet. If this is the case, getting a replacement from Uniden might result in another failure down the line.

SCPD

QRT
Honestly .. saying that Uniden sucks gets us no where.

Time to go to the store and buy a better microSD card .. I bought a fast class 10 16 GB card for less than $20. And I live in the north where prices are high.

Sure you could easily buy a fast new card for $5 or less. My time is valuable to me .. and spending it on the phone with Uniden is hardly a good use of that time.

Besides .. a much faster card than what Uniden will send you will make your scanner perform much better.

I never have used the slow Uniden card .. all it does is cause grief in the end.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Lesson Learned

Yes, it was an annoying lesson to learn. But, basically, I learned, "don't remove the batteries until the radio shuts down. So, I have a spare micro SD card in case this happens again. But, I have adjusted the radio threshold to where I can shut it down when the batteries get low. Luckily, since I've implemented these safeguards, I've not encountered another problem with SD corruption.

I will get used to this wrinkle. My PSR 500 has problems if you plug it into the wall or unplug it the wrong way.

For such a great radio, I will live with it.

blastoff3210

New member. first post. This seems like a dead thread, but since everywhere I read reviews of the 536HP this issue appears as a major point of frustration...I will add my two cents.

I don't know the details of how the 536HP uses the micro SD, but I'm wondering if the micro SD corruption due to power removal could be mitigated with a firmware update such that the 536HP only writes to the micro SD when a data change is made instead of write at power off. (Technically the issue would still exist if power is removed during the write, but the corruption vulnerability would be greatly decreased...)

Also, if the 536HP monitors the DC input voltage (called a gas gauge) then firmware could sample the DC voltage and if it is below (or falling) a threshold then not write to the micro SD ... (thinking I would rather loose the last change instead of everything).

I am aware the issue is described in the 536HP user documentation and I have not been able to find a Uniden response to this issue, so it does not appear any changes are forthcoming. Based on the amount of negative feedback I have read based on the issue it seems like it is in Uniden's interest to improve the 536HP tolerance to the loss of power scenario. No sense leaving the door open for the competition.

Ahh, I feel better now...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you search the Uniden Tavern threads, you'll find a lively thread discussing some of the things you've suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.