SDS100/SDS200: SD card holder failure, a word to the wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, sorry for not being around much, things got kinda busy with all the COVID stuff (fortunately not for me though :)). Anyway, want to post this to hopefully save someone else from going through what i just went through. Forst off, a BIG WARNING to all of us that own a Uniden SDS100, DO NOT, and i mean DO NOT attempt to remove the SD card that comes in the scanner when you get it, the metal holder that keeps it in place will fail if it is opened, it`s happened to me (this is my second scanner that`s suffered this failure, there is no fix that the user can do to rectify the problem, and you will be replacing your unit. Sadly Uniden once again went cheap and put the SD card receptacle in the batterey compartment and secured it with the aformentioned metal holder, to get what i mean open the batterey compartment on the back of the unit and remove the batterey, you will see the SD card receptacle secured by a small metal cover (what i call the "clip"), do not try to change the SD card without someone there to assist, this metal cover is not hinged securly and it will come out VERY EASILY. So that said, do yourself a favor and don`t even try to do anything with the SD card holder in the SDS100 portable scanner, it`s just ot worth the headache, and the possible heartache (not to mention the financial outlay to replace your now`damaged scanner too). P.S. I`d post some pics to show what i`m getting at, but i`ve no good way to get the set off my cellphone onto my PC to post them or i would, sorry about that.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I've swapped out SD cards in my SDS100 quite a few times without any problem, you just have to be careful... and not forceful.

Check this video from Bearcat Warehouse, swapping the SD card is really just this simple and easy:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is a very common issue that has been discussed on radio reference in the past. Although I have removed the card and replaced it as carefully as possible I still had problems and was able to repair the card holder but it's flimsy at best. Same with the 436.

With the sds200 and the 536 I prefer removing the card and programming that way since firmware updates are certainly not an issue LOL but with the sds100 and the 436 I recommend not touching the card unless you have to. Thanks for the good advice for people who didn't know.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've not had a problem with either the 436 or SDS100. That the OP has had trouble with multiple different radios tells me that he might want to re evaluate his technique.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
With all the cellphone and tablet use of these cards, it shouldn't have been a big deal to make something better from an existing design.
I always wished they would have used a socket more like what's in the HP1 models. I'm not sure what the HP2 uses.
The HP1 (and 536, SDS200 models) use a typical push to release spring loaded socket that seems it would be much less prone to user problems. I know the HP1 type sockets are slightly larger but there's still plenty of room on the PCB and around the socket where it meets the outer case where they could have used that type instead of what they used.

While I never had issues with the latching hatch type socket in the 436 or SDS100, I always could see where it may become an issue for some.
At the same time, I've also seen much worse in other devices!
The use of the existing type socket probably saved them a couple pennies per unit at best over a better quality spring loaded socket.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I always wished they would have used a socket more like what's in the HP1 models. I'm not sure what the HP2 uses.
The HP1 (and 536, SDS200 models) use a typical push to release spring loaded socket that seems it would be much less prone to user problems. I know the HP1 type sockets are slightly larger but there's still plenty of room on the PCB and around the socket where it meets the outer case where they could have used that type instead of what they used.

While I never had issues with the latching hatch type socket in the 436 or SDS100, I always could see where it may become an issue for some.
The use of the existing type socket probably saved them a couple pennies per unit at best over a better quality spring loaded socket.
The HP2 uses the same socket arrangement as the HP1.

I would like to see Uniden switch to a socket on the handheld scanners, rather than the existing "clip socket". While I can deal (very carefully) with the current design, a socket would be much less exasperating. My Whistler TRX-1 uses a socket, and is easy to access. Remove the battery cover, and the socket is accessible on the side of the case, with no need to pull the batteries.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I like that. Around my house finding a pencil would be the hardest part.

I don't usually remove my SD card in my SDS100, but when I do I use a pencil eraser to release and lock the holder in place.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber

Agreed, I also own a Kenwood D74 amateur radio (love it BTW :)), and that has the same thing, the SD card is inserted into a push to lock socket on the side of the unit, much better design than what Uniden did, their scanners are really good, and i`ll be replacing my SDS100 hopefully soon, but they still went cheap on something that shouldn`t be skimped on IMO. How`d we like it if our cellphones had that, pull the back off the phone to insert the SD card and the SIM, wouldn`t be very much fun would it? (short answer, it wouldn`t). again, just a word of warning about this, and as always, i have hope for a day when Uniden does a redesign and actually asks their customers (that means the you`s and me`s out here in the "cheap seats" of life) what we`d like to see in the next model of scanner. Is that too much to ask? N9NRA

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
there is no fix that the user can do to rectify the problem, and you will be replacing your unit.
You didn't say if you broke off part of the plastic body of the SD card holder, but... if the hinge points on the metal clip just popped off from the base of the holder, the clip can be re-attached fairly easily. You might need a magnifier and tweezers or needle nose pliers etc. but the scanner certainly doesn't need to be replaced or sent to Uniden for that. If the clip was bent or distorted from forcing it, well... that's a different story. Even then, you can purchase a $2.00 replacement SD card holder assembly from Digi-Key and use just the clip on your scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.