Sd card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Manual says it supports up to 32GB SD cards.

Sandisk Extreme’s have always been a good card to use.

omlbed

Premium Subscriber
I also have a 32GB card in mine. I only use a small small fraction of that.

Ubbe

You can keep in mind that all devices that use SD cards always support up to 32GB. When you go above that the controller in the SD card has to do some page flipping and other things and that can make it incompatible with the devices way of handling SD cards. It usually works with bigger cards but some cheap chinese things don't work well with big cards and the manufacturer often state that they do not gurantee operation of bigger cards above 32GB to guard themselfes from any customer complaints.

/Ubbe

mc48

Premium Subscriber
All of the devices I have tried, work just fine with larger cards. The card needs to be formatted with FAT32 not exFAT and Windows automatically formats larger cards to exFAT, so you need to format them with an online tool and they should work.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not much point buying a 64gb card, and then formatting it FAT32 and being limited to 32GB formatted usable space.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You are not limited to 32GB, I'm not sure what it does but, I have a 128 here from my dash cam formatted with FAT32
and it currently has 59.1GB on it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You are not limited to 32GB, I'm not sure what it does but, I have a 128 here from my dash cam formatted with FAT32
and it currently has 59.1GB on it.
The '32GB limit' is the largest size that Uniden supports. I think what is really meant is that if your card size was 32GB or less, Uniden Tech support would assist with troubleshooting SD card issues. But, if using a size greater than that, they would not. I've seen other comments on a number of people using cards greater than 32GB. with no problems, so that indicates that it's not a hardware limit within the scanner.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
The '32GB limit' is the largest size that Uniden supports. I think what is really meant is that if your card size was 32GB or less, Uniden Tech support would assist with troubleshooting SD card issues. But, if using a size greater than that, they would not. I've seen other comments on a number of people using cards greater than 32GB. with no problems, so that indicates that it's not a hardware limit within the scanner.
I would agree with that, my comment was to John that formatting a card with FAT 32 will not limit the storage of that card.
I can't imagine ever needing even a 32GB card in one of these current scanners.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would agree with that, my comment was to John that formatting a card with FAT 32 will not limit the storage of that card.
I can't imagine ever needing even a 32GB card in one of these current scanners.
Me neither. Never even approached filling a memory card with recordings even though I'm using cards smaller than 32GB.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Using the new 32 card one thing maybe its me seems to scan faster. Or it could be my imagination.

Thanks
Theodore
It's your imagination.

32 gigs is a lot and unless you record almost everything, it might be a waste.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A faster card can significantly reduce boot time. But card size isn't really a factor.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is probably more important that you get the extreme style of SD card. They tolerate more read/write cycles.

SD cards are like auto tires, they only last so long until they give out. The extreme variety have a little more mileage on them.

If you use Replay or Record options, there is a lot of writing happening that you don't see.

Status
Not open for further replies.