SD Card Readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hello All. My current computer is a MS Surface Pro. Great computer, but lacking a few things. In this case, there are no SD card slots except for the backup SD card I installed

I was wondering what SD card reader you may suggest. I need it for my Scanner as well as my photography endeavors. The reader would have to be a USB connector to my computer.

Thanks all. Appreciate your recommendations. Greg. .

Hit_Factor

You don't need it for your new scanner. When you enter mass storage mode your scanner turns into a 700 dollar card reader.

If you still think you want a standalone reader pick one with good ratings on Amazon. These are very much commodity devices.

Be sure to pick one that matches the capability of the Surface's built in port.

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I understand what you are saying. However, what about my need to copy cards, download from other sources to a card, my photo needs,, etc.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I looked into my device manager and found this for USB INPUT DEVICE. I know very little about card readers. Does this help:

Device USB\VID_258A&PID_1006&MI_01\7&39248f9a&0&0001 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Hit_Factor

Nope, not much help.

Is the usb port blue? Is it rectangular (1/2")? Rounded (3/8")?

Or do you know the model number of your Surface?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I understand what you are saying. However, what about my need to copy cards, download from other sources to a card, my photo needs,, etc.
What type card is used by your camera(s)?

There are a number of readers that have slots to read bith the standard SD card, as well as the micro card used by the scanners as well as some cameras.

If your camera uses a card type other than SD, then a reader like Whiskey3 mentioned might be a better choice, as it takes additional card types. Here's a link for Amazon.

There are other readers, for different card types, on that same linked Amazon page.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm really frustrated. Spent the last 45 minutes trying to get my model number. Why is it so damn hard to find. I've looked at hardware and software references, but NO model number. I appreciate ALL your help but I'll have to put this on the back burner for now. (My new SDS is only miles away!!)

My USB port is rectangular, and it is a surface pro 5. I'll get back to this shortly. Thanks. Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
UPS Still not here. Its 4:55 pm. We have the worst UPS and USPS service here. Sometimes the mail is not here to 6pm.

Anyhow, back to the card reader. My Nikon takes a regular size SD card, high speed, yet not as fast as they can be, according to *****es, gripes, and complaints. Some Nikon users are complaining they are not the top of the line high speed cards. So what? I can wait an extra second or two for a picture to be copied.

Not sure what my SDS takes, but I think it's a full size, high speed. If UPS would ever get here I would know.

Thanks. Greg

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
UPS Still not here. Its 4:55 pm. We have the worst UPS and USPS service here. Sometimes the mail is not here to 6pm.

Anyhow, back to the card reader. My Nikon takes a regular size SD card, high speed, yet not as fast as they can be, according to *****es, gripes, and complaints. Some Nikon users are complaining they are not the top of the line high speed cards. So what? I can wait an extra second or two for a picture to be copied.

Not sure what my SDS takes, but I think it's a full size, high speed. If UPS would ever get here I would know.

Thanks. Greg
The SDS200 takes the Micro-SD card, as do most of the database scanners. But there are a number of readers available with both SD & Micro-SD slots, so one reader will take care of your scanner ro your camera.

majoco

Stirrer
What Whiskey3JMC said - except mine is a 5-slot reader and a USB2 socket so you can connect with your own lead to a USB2 port. Never had a problem with it and I bought it somewhere atound 2002 for my first digital camera that used a CompactFlash card - now the reader accepts the microSD cards too which are more common now.

DSCF1402 sml crop.jpg

Hit_Factor

I'm really frustrated. Spent the last 45 minutes trying to get my model number. Why is it so damn hard to find. I've looked at hardware and software references, but NO model number. I appreciate ALL your help but I'll have to put this on the back burner for now. (My new SDS is only miles away!!)

My USB port is rectangular, and it is a surface pro 5. I'll get back to this shortly. Thanks. Greg
Surface Pro 5 is all I needed, the reader Whiskey3JMC is a good one, but it's a USB C (3.1+) connector, you need a USB 3.0. The reader Mikewazowski is perfect. Your SDS uses a microSD, it's highly unlike you will ever HAVE to remove it, but you might. I replaced the class 4 card with a class 10 card, it boots faster. But bigger class 10 cards take longer, so bigger isn't always better. Removing the microSD will be a one time or infrequent task.

The key spec for your USB card reader is USB 3.0, keep that in mind and all will work out well.

I hope the mail came!

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much everyone above. I appreciate your help and research. I will buy the model you showed. My new SDS arrived about one hour ago. I see they used the same micro card holder as they did in the 436. I tried to remove it once and everything fell apart. Then, by luck, I got it back in again like new.

My SDS is basically the same as my 436, with some added good stuff. I feel sorry for anyone buying into one of these new scanners for their first time. The manual really does not help a newbie at all.

Well must run. Thanks again. Greg

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I also do a bit of photography work and use a card reader. B&H Photo has a pretty good selection of them, as well as being a good source for various types of cards, including high endurance varieties. card readers | B&H Photo Video

You could also call B&H and have them suggest something for your specific computer, maybe even shed some light on the speed issue. I think the actual card itself will dictate read/write speeds. If you need speed, you have have to do a camera upgrade to an XQD card model.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
A cautionary tale - both my Nikons take SD cards and I quite often used to swap them around to download the pix, not just 'cos the card was full. However, one of them needed more of a tug than usual and the contact portion of the card was left in the camera - I could see it but couldn't get hold of it with tweezers or needle nosed pliers. A trip to the dealers and he had to dissassemble the body to remove the bits - not a cheap excercise. Since then I have used the USB socket on the camera to download the pix and then reformatted the card.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I appreciate the cautionary tale above as well. Ouch! I just looked at B&H and I'm heading there now. Appreciate your help. Greg

phask

Premium Subscriber
A cautionary tale - both my Nikons take SD cards and I quite often used to swap them around to download the pix, not just 'cos the card was full. However, one of them needed more of a tug than usual and the contact portion of the card was left in the camera - I could see it but couldn't get hold of it with tweezers or needle nosed pliers. A trip to the dealers and he had to dissassemble the body to remove the bits - not a cheap excercise. Since then I have used the USB socket on the camera to download the pix and then reformatted the card.

Doesn't your Nikon have a push to remove button? I have a D500 and it does, a D300 that takes Compactflash and does and had a D70 that did.

Now some of the "pocket cameras" I have had did not (if I remember right).

Status
Not open for further replies.