TRX-2: Sd card

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
You can find the TR-2 desktop software here:

The file you need is called: EZ Scan Programming Software (TRX-2Install)
You may also need the PC driver, but I'd start with the programming software.

blackbelter

My SDS 200 Micro disk is corrupted so I purchased the SanDisk 32GB (Pack of 2) Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card which is not working as the scanner displays "SD card issue" Not Clear user Info" . Just ordered the SanDisk 32GB High Endurance Video MicroSDHC Card to try. Any thoughts on why that card might not work?
Thanks

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I recommend the 32GB MAX Endurance ones. YMMV.

I do not recommend that card, the larger the card the slower the boot time, also unless you are recording large systems you do not need anything that large, a 2 GB card will hold 50 hours of recordings. Also, it does not support cards larger than 32 GB, and wasn't designed to work on the faster MAX Endurance transfer speeds.

radionx

The reason why I recommend these cards (MAX) is this:
pMLC cards are really worth it.

As for the size of the card:

The issue is the SD controller, which only supports SDHC. SDXC ist not supported. Thus max 32GB.

True, it takes a long time to boot it up with 32GB.
"also unless you are recording large systems" - I do :) I love the Search & Record feature.

Ubbe

True, it takes a long time to boot it up with 32GB.
"also unless you are recording large systems" - I do :) I love the Search & Record feature.
How long do you keep the recorded files on the SD card? I move them after a couple of days to my PC and use the Universal Scanner Audio Player to more easily analyze the last days findings.

The Whistler scanner stores its audio files using a format of 8kb/s rate (half of what Uniden uses) and 8 bits are 1 byte and SD cards memory sizes are stated in bytes.

1 hour of recorded files will then take 36MB and 24 hours 864MB. One week are 6GB and one month are 24GB of continuous recordings.
And remember that one fill of the card corresponds to one write cycle. Then you can check how many write cycles are guaranteed.

I don't have the patience to wait a month until analyzing what has happened on the frequencies. I have my SD card partitioned to max 1GB as it only records when there's activity and not idle channels.

/Ubbe

blackbelter

Received my new SD card and once again the scanner indicates SD card access error (4 different cards )… I placed the original SD card back in, reads it but nothing shows up on sentinel however .. puzzling as this can not be card issue .The card issue started after the unit was returned from uniden repair for unrelated issue .will reach out to uniden .

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Remember that a new blank card needs to be formatted from the EZ Scan software before use. It is usually faster to use an USB card reader when formatting and putting a database on a new card than installing the card in the scanner.

blackbelter

Thank you , I don’t have an external USB card reader nor my pc has such .. what are other methods to format the card ?
Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
My SDS 200 Micro disk is corrupted...
This is a thread about SD cards in the Whistler TRX-2. Your issues with SD cards in a Uniden SDS200 may or may not be pertinent to this thread. If you have tech support issues regarding your Uniden scanner, the Uniden Tech Support forum would be more appropriate.

Ubbe

Thank you , will do and appreciate the responses .
It's the same issue with Uniden scanners. Choose "Clear User Data" in Sentinel and tick the box to view all drives. It could help if you first in Windows file explorer rename the SD card to "SDS200" so that it will be easy to spot in the drive directory.

/Ubbe

radionx

Also, it does not support cards larger than 32 GB, and wasn't designed to work on the faster MAX Endurance transfer speeds.

All true...but the smallest size of SD Cards you can get from SanDisk (if you want pMLC!) is 32GB.
All other MAXs are >32GB and SDXC (which the TRX-1 does not support).
I just don't trust the TLC-based SD cards (any brand), that was my motivation.

I like reliable SD-Cards :) but yes...I don't care about the transfer speed.

Ubbe

I like reliable SD-Cards :) but yes...I don't care about the transfer speed.
A scanner are probably one of the least demanding devices you can use with a SD card compared to a camera, mobile phone, dashcam or wherever it is used. The slow bitrate and low amount of data only needs the slowest type of memory with lowest amount of write cycles you can buy. What could matter more are temperature specifications, especially if a scanner are used mobile.

/Ubbe