SD cards for multiple scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I noticed in the "innards" of an SD card there is the ESN for the scanner.

Does this mean the SD card for scanner A can't be popped out and placed in scanner B and successfully used?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I noticed in the "innards" of an SD card there is the ESN for the scanner.

Does this mean the SD card for scanner A can't be popped out and placed in scanner B and successfully used?

Good Question!

I have only one HP-1E and 436HP so I cannot give it a try, but I do keep my SD cards for these two scanners in separate containers and clearly labeled since I am almost positive they cannot be substituted for each other.

As a WILD guess I would say that unless the ESN is checked for they should work as long as it is a 436 vs 436 and a 536 SD card and another 536 SD card.

If someone will try it, we will soon know.

SCPD

QRT
no

Good Question!

I have only one HP-1E and 436HP so I cannot give it a try, but I do keep my SD cards for these two scanners in separate containers and clearly labeled since I am almost positive they cannot be substituted for each other.

As a WILD guess I would say that unless the ESN is checked for they should work as long as it is a 436 vs 436 and a 536 SD card and another 536 SD card.

If someone will try it, we will soon know.

I say it wont work because the checksum will fail.The ESN wont match the other radio and it will tank.Hey ya never know though.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I say it wont work because the checksum will fail.The ESN wont match the other radio and it will tank.Hey ya never know though.

I agree, if the ESN is being checked in say a paid upgrade. I think it would prevent people from upgrading more than one radio with the same payment.

At present, I am not aware of the Firmware or DB updates being specific to each scanner but to a scanner type, like a 436 update only for a 436. However, as you say we are guessing and since details are always important and I do not have them, I definitely could be wrong.

Now I am even more interested to know if it will work or not.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm kinda lost on the "paid upgrade". . . I'm unaware of any type of paid upgrade for 536 scanners.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I'm kinda lost on the "paid upgrade". . . I'm unaware of any type of paid upgrade for 536 scanners.

AFAIK no paid upgrades have been announced but why a Firmware update would query your ESN unless the ID of the radio (436 or 536) is contained in it since the firmware update is not tied to the individual radio but to the kind of radio you have. However, the radio ID may very well be in the ESN in which case it will be needed.

No doubt you remember that starting with T and XT series through the HP-1, Uniden would give you a Registration Key and a very long Product Registration Order ID when you registered your scanner. These were involved alone with your ESN AFAIK with paid upgrades but I noted that when I registered my 436 these were not given (but I do have them for my other scanners).

But as I said I am just guessing here.

dougjgray

Just a guess but probably the ESN on the SD card identifies what scanner it is for the sentinal software to differentiate multiple scanners for firmware updates etc So if you put the sd card in another scanner the ESN. Probably gets over wrote so shouldnt heart any thing

kellykeeton

Just a guess but probably the ESN on the SD card identifies what scanner it is for the sentinal software to differentiate multiple scanners for firmware updates etc So if you put the sd card in another scanner the ESN. Probably gets over wrote so shouldnt heart any thing

Yup

Status
Not open for further replies.