SD Cards HomePatrol-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSN571

Based on information from Scan Master, the SD card on my HomePatrol - 1 is very sensitive to static corruption based on how one changes power to the scanner. Evidently the scanner must be off even before plugging into the wall charger. Further it appears that once corrupted, the card, perhaps with just the original card, it truly is messed up regardless or reformatting, and data re-instillation. Things would work for a while, and then I would get the SD error message when turning on the scanner.

I ended up buying a new card and going through all the steps again. So far it appears to be working.

I am an Apple kinda guy (since 1980) so I do not know a thing about Windows. I had to go out and buy a cheap Best Buy tablet (Insignia), Windows 10, so that I could do all the steps for setting up the scanner once I
I downloaded and learned how to install the scanner card formatting and HomePatrol software to the tablet.

I don't know how the formatting software is designed, but I could not get it to work when I put the SD card into the card slot of the tablet. I had to put the new card in the scanner in order to get it formatted and the HomePatrol DB installed. It was my understanding, based on what I thought I heard the Scan Master rep said, that one should be able to do all this to a card that is installed in the tablet to create backup cards.

Do any of you Windows experts know why I can't?

Thank you,
trav

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Here is a link explaining how to format a SD card in Windows. Of course, your Windows device must be capable of physically accepting SD cards. If your device cannot, you could purchase an USB SD card reader.

3 Ways to Format an SD Card - wikiHow

Be advised, however, that many scanner users suggest that the SD cards are best formatted by using the small application offered by the SD Association, rather than the generic Windows format process. That utility can be found and downloaded at this site...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Hope that this helps.

John

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Also - if I remember correctly - you first format the SD card with the Windows device, then you must also re-format it in the HP-1. The Windows format process does a more correct/complete format of the SD card and the HP-1 format process adds the file and folder structure that is needed for the HP-1 to work properly.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.