SD County Radio Shop Recommendations

Elpablo

Hello, Does anyone have a radio shop they can recommend to professionally install a NMO mount, scanner and speaker in my SUV? I have worked with Day Wireless before but they had some turnover since and they're a bit "busy" for my type of install. I reached out to Bearcom too and am awaiting a response.

If anyone has had a good a experience with a particular installer or shop, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
Hello, Does anyone have a radio shop they can recommend to professionally install a NMO mount, scanner and speaker in my SUV? I have worked with Day Wireless before but they had some turnover since and they're a bit "busy" for my type of install. I reached out to Bearcom too and am awaiting a response.

If anyone has had a good a experience with a particular installer or shop, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
A car audio installer at any audio shop should be able to drill a hole...run power...and do it all nice and pretty. All at reasonable price.
A two-way radio is NOT complicated like a car audio system is.
Besides...
You might want those extra big woofers in your trunk so you have that "sitting right next me" repeater experience.
Just tell them what you want, they are pros.

Scan Sexy...
...with 250 watts of base thumping audio.

Alain

Thanks in advance!
Call Hank Wayne...619-520-3542 [cell] He does it for a living for Fallbrook area fire agencies.

d119

Call Hank Wayne...619-520-3542 [cell] He does it for a living for Fallbrook area fire agencies.

Yeah, no.

Call Day Wireless at (858) 537-0709 and ask for Mike Andrew. He's their manager of installations. Use a reputable, insured company to perform this kind of work. Car audio shops don't know a damn thing about installing radio equipment beyond car stereos, and I've personally seen horror stories that resulted in lawsuits from damage.

Day Wireless is the shop most of the federal agencies use for installation in their vehicles. Sure, they're more expensive, but if they screw up your car, you can be sure it'll be fixed. Busy or not, be patient and get it done properly by the proper people.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
WHOEVER you end up going with, even if you buy a 3/4" hole saw "drill bit" for your own electric drill, MAKE SURE you clean your roof SUPER WELL afterwards, blow it off, use lots of duct tape to REMOVE any and all tiny metal shavings. If this is not done well enough, your roof will have rust acne spots.

Paul

W6NEO

Yeah, no.
Not sure if that was specifically something against Hank, or just a general recommendation to go with a reputable shop with insurance.
In either case, I just want to 2nd the recommendation for Hank. It's been a while since I have talked to him, but I have seen his work first hand, and yes he really does contract work for public agencies. Not sure but I'm guessing he's been doing this for more than 20 years. He is absolutely qualified to install a scanner or two-way into a vehicle.

I'll also 2nd the recommendation AGAINST a car stereo store. Those people are (mostly) hacks.

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
I don't overthink a custom install after all these years. I want a nice custom job that matches my car interior. Sure I can pay cop-car install prices if I want, however why should I when I just tell the tech exactly what I want and where I want it.

"Put the antenna here..."
"Place the custom speaker interface here..."
Pretty basic stuff for any Audio Pro.

My biggest complaint about "two-way installers"...
They ALWAYS mess up the headliner and it never looks the same.
Car audio techs just have more experience with a variety of car interiors besides Crown Vic's , Chargers and Explorers.

Ok...
I DO draw the line with Walmart car installers.

A man must have SOME standards.

Scan Sexy