SD Door came off on the BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lep

I was on vacation last week and not even a few hours visiting back home the sd card door came off.

OK but I am still not clear on what you were doing when the "sd card door came off", in the 60 days I have had my own 436 I have never had any reason to open the battery compartment since first starting to use the scanner.

troymail

Silent Key
This is not good....

Reason? To get recordings from the SD card.... transfer over the cable is just waaaaaay too slow.

I'm guessing the reason the card is buried so deep inside the radio - behind the batteries - is because Uniden really doesn't want you taking the card out unless it fails.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
OK but I am still not clear on what you were doing when the "sd card door came off", in the 60 days I have had my own 436 I have never had any reason to open the battery compartment since first starting to use the scanner.

Before I got the 436hp people were saying the sd card corrupts faster using the USB cord to computer. I had that problem with the psr800. I take the card out and use a card reader reads faster plus no card errors/corruption.

troymail

Silent Key
Before I got the 436hp people were saying the sd card corrupts faster using the USB cord to computer. I had that problem with the psr800. I take the card out and use a card reader reads faster plus no card errors/corruption.

In theory, as long as you carefully "safely release" the (SD card) device before removing the cable, you shouldn't have any problems with corruption. I use the cable regularly for database and favorites lists transfers - I only remove it to copy off recordings for review.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
This is not good....

Reason? To get recordings from the SD card.... transfer over the cable is just waaaaaay too slow.

I'm guessing the reason the card is buried so deep inside the radio - behind the batteries - is because Uniden really doesn't want you taking the card out unless it fails.

Reason is for to update the radio. Like you said to transfer data over the cable is too slow. Plus you are not able to right hand click on the drive and use the Reject option (which Reject is not shown). Would have to turn off computer than the radio than unplug it than turn computer back on.

troymail

Silent Key
Reason is for to update the radio. Like you said to transfer data over the cable is too slow. Plus you are not able to right hand click on the drive and use the Reject option (which Reject is not shown). Would have to turn off computer than the radio than unplug it than turn computer back on.

What OS is your computer running?

You should be able to list the drives and EJECT the device... Also, there should be an ICON in the system tray (usually the lower right hand corner with the clock) that you can click and "safely" eject or release the device/drive. A shutdown probably takes care of this for you but shouldn't be necessary.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
What OS is your computer running?

You should be able to list the drives and EJECT the device... Also, there should be an ICON in the system tray (usually the lower right hand corner with the clock) that you can click and "safely" eject or release the device/drive. A shutdown probably takes care of this for you but shouldn't be necessary.

I'm running win7. I did a test and it shows the drive but the reject shows up but when I click it than it shows it's safe to remove but the drive still there and can open it and look around.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I try to reject it and the bubble shows it says its safe to remove. The drive icon still up and you can open it and browse around. I did turn off the radio and it didn't show the drive icon anymore so I guess that works for now.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I use the cable for everything. The only time I ever removed the SD card was the day the 436 arrived and I replaced the original with an 8 gig card. I even use the cable to transfer audio files. The transfer process between Sentinel and the radio is fast, compared to using the cable with the PSR-800.

I'm using an older Windows 7 laptop with 4 gigs of memory.

kd7eir

I use the cable for everything. I have not noticed the transfer speed via the USB cable as being particularly slow at all.

As troymail said - the SD card is located where it is because there is no reason to be constantly removing and inserting it - SD cards were NEVER meant to be treated that way in the first place.

When used as designed, the SD card holder in the BCD436HP works flawlessly. I guess if someone insists on using a technology counter to it's designed purpose they can expect results that are also counter to expected performance.

I read of one person tearing up their SD card holder while changing batteries in the dark. Being an engineer I analyzed the battery compartment very carefully, and I cannot see any possible way to accomplish such a task that does not involve carelessness of the highest degree. Even if you did manage to snag a battery end on the card holder, the resistance should be the first clue to STOP and see what is wrong rather than proceeding to FORCE the battery and damaging the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.