SDPD Dispatchers "Station A"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow925

Anyone notice that lately the SDPD dispatchers whisper "station A" much more frequently at the end of transmissions than they used to? I know station A references SDPD, but what's the reason that they say it so often now? They're using SDPD frequencies so it seems redundant.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Anyone notice that lately the SDPD dispatchers whisper "station A" much more frequently at the end of transmissions than they used to? I know station A references SDPD, but what's the reason that they say it so often now? They're using SDPD frequencies so it seems redundant.

It is a carryover from the very early days when dispatch was one-way using a shared AM transmitter just above the broadcast AM radio band. Each dispatch point had a ID so units in the field could tell when their agency was putting out a call ("Station A to Unit 42, see the woman...).

As two-way systems came into their own during the 1950s-60s, each public safety dispatch point in the County had a station identifier. Many still use it. SDPD is Station A. The old County EOC was Station E. San Diego Fire was Station F. Sheriff's Dispatch is Station M. CHP was Station T. The old County Local Government room was Station X. SDG&E is Station Y.

So the best way to describe it is 'tradition', with a "why change it if it isn't broken" attitude.

d119

Incomplete list, I know, but here's what I remember:

A = San Diego PD
B
C = Carlsbad Police
D = Coronado Police
E =
F = San Diego Fire
G
H = Escondido Police & SD Harbor Police
I
J
K = El Cajon Police (RCS), San Diego City Schools Police (SD City System)
L = (Was San Diego Marshal)
M = San Diego County Sheriff
N = Refers to news agencies collectively
O = Oceanside Police
P
Q = National City Police
R
S = SDSU Police
T
U
V
W
X = San Diego Humane Society (Was SD County Local Government)
Y
Z
1 = La Mesa Police

mike619

Chula Vista police is also Station C on the RCS south zone. Also Station J may be Southwestern College police.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
For two years after college (1964/65) I was volunteer dispatcher for Del Mar FD KAY234 on 46.46. We were “Station H”. Other FDs on 46.46 that I remember were Solana Beach, Encinitas, & Rancho Santa Fe. Unfortunately I don’t remember their IDs. That was 60 years ago, whata you want! Radio checks amongst the stations was 8:00 am every day with lead station rotating weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.