SDPD "Local" channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Looks like all input frequencies. I was sweeping 700MHz the other night at a Marquez SWAT raid, got a hit on 770.16875 with a non SD City NAC of 2A5, no audio, thought it was the new encrypted PRT Repeater, then figured out it was the Donavan trunking system CC.

Paul

I couldn't figure out what a "PRT Repeater" was, so I Googled it. Duuugh, it's a portable repeater. Now I've learned something new today, thanks!!

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I couldn't figure out what a "PRT Repeater" was, so I Googled it. Duuugh, it's a portable repeater. Now I've learned something new today, thanks!!

PRT is actually a local acronym for “Primary Response Team.” It’s one of San Diego’s many swat teams, and evidently they have a stand-alone repeater frequency, though not sure whether it’s portable or fixed.

JoeyC

PRT is actually a local acronym for “Primary Response Team.” It’s one of San Diego’s many swat teams, and evidently they have a stand-alone repeater frequency, though not sure whether it’s portable or fixed.
Pretty sure the 859 mHz freq was portable since it was so low powered. No clue about what they replaced it with though.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I never remember hearing PRT Repeater being used in repeater mode. I remember back in the 90's when the SD City 800 system first went live, they had a "Point Loma Repeater", which may have been the 859.225MHz frequency, I can't recall.

Paul

SDBud

Except it IS a simplex freq, and NOT a repeater of any kind. You need to be without about 2 blocks of it to hear it.

JoeyC

PRT repeater and Point Loma repeater were both 859.225. The PRT repeater used DCS 023 and Point Loma Repeater operated with PL 156.7.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

This is an example of why I don't like abbreviations being used in the database other than widely known ones, such as SWAT. When a less common one is used in writing and on the database confusion is often the result. Some say, "don't make any effort to define an abbreviation, just look the term up on the internet." For those that say it, look at what happened when I followed that advice.

SDBud

This is an example of why I don't like abbreviations being used in the database other than widely known ones, such as SWAT. When a less common one is used in writing and on the database confusion is often the result. Some say, "don't make any effort to define an abbreviation, just look the term up on the internet." For those that say it, look at what happened when I followed that advice.

The problem is that many acronyms are specific to an area, or an industry, OR maybe even a country or culture.
SWAT here has PRT and SRT. You hear PRT being mentioned a lot more often.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The problem is that many acronyms are specific to an area, or an industry, OR maybe even a country or culture.
SWAT here has PRT and SRT. You hear PRT being mentioned a lot more often.

So is "SRT" "Secondary Response Team," "Special Response Team," "Situation Response Team" or "Shooting Response Team?" That is why I strongly dislike downloading the RR database because it is full of these. Sometimes, if I know I will be traveling somewhere, I try doing some searches and then label a channel the way it should have been in the database when the data was submitted. The submitter is more familiar with the radio system and the agency so a little research should go along with the submission. Not, "well if you want to know about you Google it." If you do then you get hits like "Switzerland Reproductive Treatment" or "Street and Race Technology" or some such.

W6KRU

So is "SRT" "Secondary Response Team," "Special Response Team," "Situation Response Team" or "Shooting Response Team?" That is why I strongly dislike downloading the RR database because it is full of these. Sometimes, if I know I will be traveling somewhere, I try doing some searches and then label a channel the way it should have been in the database when the data was submitted. The submitter is more familiar with the radio system and the agency so a little research should go along with the submission. Not, "well if you want to know about you Google it." If you do then you get hits like "Switzerland Reproductive Treatment" or "Street and Race Technology" or some such.

That works two ways though. If you label the channel 'Secondary Response Team' and the guys using the radios refer to it as 'SRT' it can be a problem. If they keep saying switch to SRT and your scanner never stops on SRT, it can seem that you are missing a channel. I always attempt to label the channels the way the users refer to them to minimize the confusion.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
That works two ways though. If you label the channel 'Secondary Response Team' and the guys using the radios refer to it as 'SRT' it can be a problem. If they keep saying switch to SRT and your scanner never stops on SRT, it can seem that you are missing a channel. I always attempt to label the channels the way the users refer to them to minimize the confusion.

Same here. With 16 characters I would put something similar to, "SRT Scnd Rspn Tm" I have a bank in my scanners for Yosemite National Park, since it's relatively close to us. I program there frequencies in the park's channel order, with some of the channels being labeled differently in other banks. So I duplicate them in my Yosemite bank so I can label something, for example, "YNP 16 NIFC Tac1" just like park personnel refer to it. NIFC Tac 1 is in several other locations in the entire program and some would say, why do you waste putting it in another channel. I do, so when I'm in the park and someone says "switch to 16" I can quickly scroll down from Channel 2 and follow what is happening. If it was listed as just "NIFC 1" and put in several banks, when I hear "switch to 16" I would have no idea what to switch to.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Please remeber they call PRT Repeater, "PRT REPEATER" on the radio. So when they say "all SWAT units switch to PRT Repeater", you know exactly where to tune your RRdb preprogrammed scanner, because it says exactly what it's being refered to over the air.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.