SDR + AES-256

Status
Not open for further replies.

951ryan

Feed Provider
Is there a way to listen to a Project 25 Phase II TDMA system using AES-256 encryption if you have the encryption keys using a SDR receiver?

bailly2

no, but you can listen to the input frequencies attenuated with a stub antenna like for nascar, then if you pick u p any activity something is happening in your neighborhood

951ryan

Feed Provider

Short, sweet and to the point. I was given subscriber access to a public safety system and part of our lease fee gives us the frequency and keys but they don't do the programming or provide the radio so was looking into SDR before looking into the APX 8000 which they recommended I purchase for $10,000.

br0adband

Just as a side note, there was a video on YouTube in the past where someone used GNURadio + OP25 and they were able to do that (decrypt the transmissions in real-time) because he was using his own radio hardware along with the necessary AES-256 encryption keys to do it, looks some Motorola XT units but I'm not sure about that (not into the commercial radio hardware). So I suppose my answer should have been "Nope, not likely, but you just never know..." :)

The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShOLgW2tmI

It might be useful to you, might not, but there's at least something to work with I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.