SDR++ and Icom IC-R8600

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I have managed to make SDR++ Windows X64 version work with the IC-R8600. To do so I originally got the 8600 working with another SDR program, SDRGlut. Then, I copied the following files from SDRGlut over to SDR++

SoapySDR.dll
SoapySDRUtil.exe
ExtIO_ICR8600.dll
icr8600Support.dll was copied into the "Modules" folder

I'm not sure that all of the above were necessary to make this work but as I'm flying blind so I'm just listing what I did. I assume these files are available independently of SDRGlut; I don't want to make it appear that I am grabbing files from that software to make this one work, but I guess I kinda am...an experiment that worked out.

Also, the Icom IQ drivers for the 8600 need to be installed for this to work.

On startup of SDR++ (previously not run on the PC I'm on) it immediately identified SoapySDR as the source, and underneath was a drop down window with IC-R8600 in it as the only choice. I had to make several tweaks to the attenuator gain, RFGain, bandwidth, and adjust the max and min display settings. Clicked the start button and lo and behold it works.

There are a few quirks but it is a great start. I'm noticing that at a bandwidth of 5.12 MHz (the maximum for the 8600) I am truly seeing about 4.5 MHz. Also, strong signals appear to make the spectrum "jump" for lack of a better term. I've tried attenuation and reducing RF gain and it minimizes, but does not eliminate, this issue. At lower sample rates I did not see this occur. Also. When I stop the spectrum display SDR++ shuts down and thus requires a restart to continue. On the spectrum display the bandwidth does not fill the entire screen regardless of what it is set at, 5.12, 3.84, 1.92. I did not go lower during my initial test runs.

All of that said, it does work! More to follow as I try it further.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Followup: I also posted a version of the above in the SDR++ discussion section of GitHub. The software author responded with this:

This is not the recommended way of getting SoapySDR running with SDR++ and will cause issues for most users (in some cases completely breaking SDR++ and/or SoapySDR). The soapysdr module for the IC8600 doesn't seem to have been compiled for the recent versions of SoapySDR so granted you can't do much better at the moment. But just keep this in mind. I'll see if I can compile that driver for you so you can install it properly.

So if you feel like trying this proceed at your own risk, and hopefully he will eventually be able/have time to compile something more stable. Pretty cool either way.

KC1UA

Database Admin
And finally, the author already compiled it! Here is a direct link to the procedure; it sounds like he would be interested to hear other user remarks about it. IC-R8600 · Discussion #268 · AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus

I am dumping the audio out via Virtual Audio Cable and having KGTone control it when an analog signal is present, and DSD+ FL for digital signals. I think SDR++ needs some improvement in audio quality. As I believe I read this is acknowledged and will be improved.

Here is a view of how I have it set up.

SDRPlusPlus With 8600.jpg

KC1UA

Database Admin
Hi Scott,
So what does this program do that SDR# or SDRC not do? Curious minds ask:)

Well as you know SDR# doesn't support the IC-R8600 and likely won't. As to SDR Console, it does everything this one does, just in some different ways. Things I don't like about it are the fact that you have to use WFM to get suitable audio out to DSD+ and that there is only one audio path available short of adding a second receiver and duplicating the frequency in use. SDR++ appears to let you pipe numerous audio outs to whatever you need them for. I have never been a fan of the squelch in SDR Console either. I believe it is best at HF, and the best in that regard. SDR# and SDR++ are more suitable to me as a VHF and above enthusiast. Matter of preference, but I really like where this one is going and the above offers another option for IC-R8600 users, which is a plus. Just wanted to share that it is possible to do so.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Scott,
I will keep my eye's open for any progress you make with this app and the R8600. Have a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.