SDR++ and Icom IC-R8600

ArloG

Going back to a closed thread. Are there any tricks to get the the IC-R8600 working with SDR++ in 2024?
I followed the instructions given and still no joy.

TAC4

Not sure of any tricks but you got one epic reciever. Why do
you need SDR when you have a built in waterfall ? Also you run
the risk of inducing RFI from the use of a computer and monitor.

Attachments

• 8601_01.jpg
    8601_01.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15

ArloG

Many digital decoding applications need I/Q signals and expanded IF to operate.
The waterfall has a bit to be desired. Take my R8500 for example. The FM bandwidth would never get NOAA sat passes clear.
The waterfall excursion for received RF and audio in SDR applications is infinitely adjustable. Try getting the 8600 to peak the display with weak signals. It ain't happening.
Other modes require 120 kHz bandwidth, etc. to operate. And SDR applications fare better with the almost infinite adjustments they provide.
You're correct. RFI just by touching the USB cable to the radio from my deskop/laptop are a bear to solve. Isolated USB interfaces and ferrite equipped cables pretty much fix that.
Applications like DSD+ are focused on RTL dongle receivers. SDR# is the same. They simply overlook 'real' radios. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
Then you run across the recent firmware update that took care of 0 user requests such as 1 Hz tuning and expanded digital modes.
Could it have been better out of the factory? You betcha'
Could Icom take an interest in fulfilling the firmware update issues? If they and their 3rd party programmers put serious effort into it, sure.
I'll keep it forever.

Now...how do (if able) get SDR++ working with it in 2024?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Going back to a closed thread. Are there any tricks to get the the IC-R8600 working with SDR++ in 2024?
I followed the instructions given and still no joy.
I found on SDR++ github a way to do this. Now keep in mind its dated 2021. YMMV

You may run into issues. I do not know if SDR++ owns a R8600 to even be able to code it into SDR++. I don't know at all what Alexandre has in his collection of radios. The only evidence is what is supported is what the developer has to work with.

I own SDRPlay RSP1a and RSP1b. Very reliable SDR's. I request you rethink your approach to decoding digital transmissions to a SDR with at least 14bit ADC resolution It is after all an SDR software. You may have to use the panadaptor approach using the natively supported SDR's in SDR++ between your R8600 and PC. I do not own any standalone conventional receivers with an IF output and/or IQ output.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I done some light searching to try to help you.

I know you may like using SDR++ but if you want it to work well enough to decode digital then it is logical to go with what works.

Icom supports HDSDR which is free. They provide the drivers at the link provided. Just be sure your R-8600 firmware is current:

All the HDSDR supported hardware
R-8600 is supported.

Download links at the very bottom of the page
I recommend the beta 10 installer.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Not sure of any tricks but you got one epic reciever. Why do
you need SDR when you have a built in waterfall ? Also you run
the risk of inducing RFI from the use of a computer and monitor.
The R8600 waterfall is *very vastly inferior* to any good SDR waterfall. I am not sure where to start so will not. I have an R8600 and an ICOM R9500 but my AirSpy's are at least is as good a receiver and SDR# was designed by the same people. Try buying several R8600'sand go broke--not a problem with even good SDRs (Aispy and SDRPlay, not RTL-SDR junk).

ArloG

Thanks. Yes the post is a bit dated. I have tried or use just about every SDR application that will work with the radio.
One recent one is satdump. Again, it's tailored for RTL based radios.
There is an option to use SDR++ server. I'm guessing you use SDR++ much like you can with SDR# and a tcp/ip link for some plugins.
An older version of # can be made to work with the 8600.
HDSDR is and has been my go-to SDR program for the 8600 and an RSP2. So already cool with that.
I don't "like" using SDR++. Because I never found the tricks to get it working. I've tried all of the steps in the 2021 post. No joy so far.

radar_hunter

SDR++ doesn't support IC-R8600 natively as Ryzerth doesn't have that receiver in his collection. But I'm sure he will implement support if someone just sends him one.

SatDump team will likely do the same.

The Github ticket from 2021 suggests using a custom SoapySDR module for the IC-R8600. I don't know if that trick still works but I think SDR++ is dropping support for SoapySDR in the future altogether. It's currently listed as "deprecated" in the features table.

Meanwhile you can try other software that supports the IC-R8600, such as HDSDR or SDR Console.

ArloG

Yeah. I was lured to Discord from the SDR++ website. First time I ever used it.
As typical as a bad Facebook group. There were good and stupid replies and comments.

I only asked because the 2021 post seemed viable. But I wasn't able to get SDR++ to work with my radio

To the guy about waterfall. Yeah. The onboard display will get you by. But those dongle radios don't have a display and will not work w/o a computer and software. And mine far surpasses the RSP2 I had bought before giving my IC-R8500 a big brother.
A great deal of time is spent with it on a pc. So in comparison to the waterfall in SDR programs using the RSP and the Icom. Hands down Icom. Defintely.

All of the defenses as to why, why they cannot, won't. Closed minds. To me.
Airspy, SDR# HAD the ability to use these radios. Then shut the ability to use them off. The guy who was cool enough to modify a USRP driver got his hands slapped by them. And quickly released newer versions killed the ability to use his way of getting what used to be cool and enjoyable cut off like an antipersonnel mine blown up leg in a field hospital.

DSD+, Airspy, SDR Angel. You name it.
The term I used. Dogmatic. From a quick search for the synonym I was going to use. Is an accurate description.

I don't "like" using SDR++ because, well, I never got it working. But someone back in 2021 did. And owns a real, modern SDR.
I do not have the desire to have 47 antennas stuck up everywhere to use 35 dongle radios.
Flex Radio, Yaesu owners, And probably others would enjoy using these applications also.
But that would be "stepping across the tracks" so's to speak.

TAC4

Many digital decoding applications need I/Q signals and expanded IF to operate.
The waterfall has a bit to be desired. Take my R8500 for example. The FM bandwidth would never get NOAA sat passes clear.
The waterfall excursion for received RF and audio in SDR applications is infinitely adjustable. Try getting the 8600 to peak the display with weak signals. It ain't happening.
Other modes require 120 kHz bandwidth, etc. to operate. And SDR applications fare better with the almost infinite adjustments they provide.
You're correct. RFI just by touching the USB cable to the radio from my deskop/laptop are a bear to solve. Isolated USB interfaces and ferrite equipped cables pretty much fix that.
Applications like DSD+ are focused on RTL dongle receivers. SDR# is the same. They simply overlook 'real' radios. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
Then you run across the recent firmware update that took care of 0 user requests such as 1 Hz tuning and expanded digital modes.
Could it have been better out of the factory? You betcha'
Could Icom take an interest in fulfilling the firmware update issues? If they and their 3rd party programmers put serious effort into it, sure.
I'll keep it forever.

Now...how do (if able) get SDR++

Since you made a mistake buying the R8600 and really should
have bought an SDR for your decoding I will trade you a brand
new SDRplay still in the bubble plastic and 2K in a trade
for your R8600 wink wink. That R8600 would make one hell of
a SWL DX broadcast rig which is what I would use it for.

radar_hunter

As for why RTL-SDR is the most widely supported SDR:
It's the most popular, so the largest number of people want support for it.
It's also the cheapest so it's easy to acquire even when the developer has to buy his/her radios.
Cheaper radios may also be more likely to be donated by the manufacturer or somebody who owns them.

SDR# was originally developed for Airspy (by the Airspy team) as far as I remember but support for RTL-SDR was added later.

SDR++ supports a very large number of radios but only those that were donated to Ryzerth, usually by manufacturers but also by private individuals.

SatDump also supports more than just RTL-SDR but it also depends on hardware donations.

Icom didn't donate the IC-R8600 and being an expensive radio, it's less likely that an individual would do it either.
On the other hand, I think Ettus donated a USRP x310 which costs around 10 000 dollars.

Not sure how other big SDR software developers got their hardware. Someone said that the SDR Console author buys his radios, and unless I'm mistaken, that software does support the IC-R8600.

Last edited:

ArloG

My opinion and I stand by it. Pretty piss-poor excuses and one sided. The software specifications are available to create drivers.
How did the developer of the USRP modded driver that enabled the R8600 and probably more "unsupported" radios to work with SDR#?
And why were they on an immediate mission to disable it in the next software version?
And also. Why did they make the previous version that did work not available?
But. There are fortunately archives not-airspy where you can get older versions.
Completely, 1000% stupid. Many volunteers develop plugins to add. There are pre-packed versions out there with every conceivable plugin you may or may not ever use. Some work well. Others, not so much.

Further. There are many applications that interface with many radios though the CAT, CI-V interface. And libraries such as Hamlib utilities and rigctl are easily used to control many, many radios with the interface. Satellite tracking, doppler correction.
Frequency management, scheduled recording.
Does the group that develops the software interfaces actually have those radios in their hand?
How about someone like Simon Brown? If I may drop a name. SDR-Console works. And you can use the server to control your radio remotely.
From cheap junk to high end. It's there.

We're talking freeware. I mistakenly purchased a lifetime subscription to DSD+ Fastlane. Thinking at the time it would miraculously work with my radio for trunk tracking. Well. Big bummer there. And not a finger on a keyboard to do anything about it.
It wasn't much. A few bucks. At least the SDRPlay RSP2 I have does work.
And who needs 47 antennas and holes bored in your home for all of the cabling? Well. Unless you're a freak I guess.

You don't "Need" the actual device in your hands if you can do a remote session and operate it.
With specifications for what is needed to make it do what you want it to.
Industrial automation. PLC's, motor controllers. Heck. If the NSA can screw up centrifuges in Iran half way across the globe.......
So the defense that an actual, physical radio in-hand is weak. Very weak. Their stand needs a big can of Flex Seal because it's not holding any water at all.

What does hold water is why not save an ounce of sweat and a bottle of Advil and enable the already built.
And YOU mentioned it. Ettus. I mentioned USRP. Modified driver to allow usage of different radios?
It's still out there. Airspy hated it. And whined about it. Then killed it's usage. But good 'ole v1732 is plugging away when I can stomach using it.
Ax me that, bro.

Again. In the case of SDR++. Once upon a time. It worked with my radio. Then. *Poof*. For some reason I am unable to get it to work following the specific instructions. Software developers are constantly touting their "Improvements", "Enhancements". Advancing. Not regressing.
In the case of the SDR world. I own a few pieces of "payware" and many more freeware applications.
I'm out. You cannot, with a good stance, say that anything stated is without a doubt plausible.
And to defend the Once Upon a Time in Mexico scene where Depp tasked Trejo with a mission. A Mexi-Can't easily can turn into a Mexi-Can.