SDR Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacefrog922

I have a SDRUno and I am using along wire/speaker wire antenna running along my fence. It seems to work pretty good but I was wondering if a dipole antenna or another type would be better? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Hello peacefrog922. Depends on what you want to listen to. What range of frequencies are you interested in? The other consideration is how much space you have outdoors to erect an antenna.

First, getting your wire antenna higher above the ground would help.

I use a 31 foot vertical which is omnidirectional for shortwave. It may not be the best antenna but it brings in all the stations I want to hear.In addition I have a W6LVP loop which takes up very little space.

You can check Universal Shortwave Radio's websites for examples of shortwave antennas. Check out that one by Googling.

K4EET

Chaplain
I have a SDRUno and I am using along wire/speaker wire antenna running along my fence. It seems to work pretty good but I was wondering if a dipole antenna or another type would be better? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
What ^^^spongella^^^ said above. Also, for a long-wire antenna that is end-fed, you really need an antenna tuner to "match" the impedance of the antenna to the SDRuno. While you are not transmitting, you would simply adjust the antenna tuner for maximum signal. For future reference, record the settings of the antenna tuner versus frequency of the SDRuno. While an antenna tuner is not absolutely necessary, it would squeeze out a few more decibels in listening enjoyment. LOL!

Dave

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
First, let's get some terms straight. SDRUno is a SDR application, not the SDR itself. Unless we hear otherwise, we can assume you are using a SDRPlay SDR (which one is not relevant to this discussion).

Yes a transmatch (often mis-named an antenna tuner) might help in some situations, particularly if you are trying to use a less than optimal antenna (or to make something work on frequencies it was otherwise not designed for). As mentioned it's really not a requirement.

It is better to put the antenna up and away from the house (where there is a plethoria of noise causing devices) as much as practical.

Loops generally don't need to be high - in fact, keeping them closer to the ground is an advantage if you are using it on MW frequencies and lower, where you can use its directional properties to null out interfering stations.

Instead of just googling the subject, our wiki has several things that might be helpful. That being said, probably the 2 most popular antennas would have to be the PAR EF-SWL and the W6LVP loop (with Wellbrooks and the Pixel in that mix, too, though they're much more expensive). MFJ also has a receive loop that is popular. Check these 2 articles (links are always in blue) for links....

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.