SDR# download/frequency scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Should I download the Community Package with Plugins so I get the frequency scanner plugin, or the other download with no plugins and download the frequency scanner plugin separately ??
Steve

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I would do the latter. The Community Package has "everything"....75% of which most of us don't need. I tried it once and scuttled it in favor of the manual install.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Should I download the Community Package with Plugins so I get the frequency scanner plugin, or the other download with no plugins and download the frequency scanner plugin separately ??
Steve

Unless you know what you are doing, download the Community Package which has other things you want and installs effortlessly. If you download the "base" version, you have to put the plugins in the right place as well as edit and SDRSharp file to get them to work--the Community package does that for you. (You can install both in different directories as I have done). If only installing one of these, unless you have a reason not to, I would install the Community Package. (I own only 9? AirSpys.)

KC1UA

Database Admin
And as stated above, yes if you're not familiar with how the plug-in setup works it may benefit you to use the community package, but it is not difficult to do it manually either. Each plug-in zip file has a "magic line" text file that just needs to be copied/pasted into the plugins.xml file. That file can be edited with Notepad. The remaining files simply need to be copied into the same folder that SDR# is running from.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I would do the latter. The Community Package has "everything"....75% of which most of us don't need. I tried it once and scuttled it in favor of the manual install.

I do not understand why. It gives you the quick capability to use various add-ons with no disadvantage. Originally, I only used the "manual install" for years but recently discovered that is a mistake that causes more work on my part and makes one unaware of the usefulness of some newer plug-ins as well as making upgrading to a new version a hassle with having to re-install the separate plug-ins. Definitely not what I recommend if you are going to use any plug-ins.

morfis

If you don't need all the junk then always go for the plain version and add in only the plugins you will use.
You will learn more.

Also, have a look at this thread regarding the scanner plugin:

KC1UA

Database Admin
I do not understand why. It gives you the quick capability to use various add-ons with no disadvantage. Originally I only used the "manual install" for years but recently discovered that is a mistake that causes more work on my part and makes one unaware of the usefulness of some newer plug-ins.

Guess I just like the cleaner install. It also leaves out the standard DSD interface and just adds a lot of stuff that as I said I don't need. End user preference...that's mine.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If your not that familiar with the plugin process, go for the one that has everything and then use the plug in editor to remove what you do not want. Open the editor and click each thing you don't want. The plugin editor removes the magic line in the plugins.xml that enables that plugin.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
If your not that familiar with the plugin process, go for the one that has everything and then use the plug in editor to remove what you do not want. Open the editor and click each thing you don't want. The plugin editor removes the magic line in the plugins.xml that enables that plugin.

It isn't necessary to do this is it?

Thanks

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Unless you know what you are doing, download the Community Package which has other things you want and installs effortlessly. If you download the "base" version, you have to put the plugins in the right place as well as edit and SDRSharp file to get them to work--the Community package does that for you. (You can install both in different directories as I have done). If only installing one of these, unless you have a reason not to, I would install the Community Package. (I own only 9? AirSpys.)

A month later I am going to backtrack on this. SDRSharp has been doing many updates and some of the plugins are now causing aggaravating problems. At the moment on this PC, after installing the community package runs one time and crashes the next time it is run. Unfortunately the regular non-community version is refusing even to run at all at Norton deletes files in it even when I have done everything I can to stop that. Unfortunately, one can only install the current community package so I am left to run older versions of the non-community package.

Status
Not open for further replies.