SDR# Driver & Keyboard Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I am very new to SDR and hope this is a common problem easily fixed.

I've recently purchased (2) Nooelec RTL2832 Dongles & after installing the SDR# software on one of my PC's (which is running WIndows 8), I noticed my USB powered keyboard no longer works.

After I downloaded SDR# v1254, I unzipped the folder, installed the SDR file, and then proceeded to install the Zadig driver...
-When the Zadig window was opened, under "Options", I clicked "list all devices"...
-Then on the devices drop down list, my devices are USB mouse, USB 2.0 CRW, USB keyboard (Interface 0), USB keyboard (Interface 1) and RTL2838UHIDIR. I clicked the RTL2838 device...
-Then I clicked "Install Driver"....
-Then I went to my Device Manager, under "USB Devices" to check that the device was there, which it is along with the USB keyboard.
-I opened up SDR#, and everything seems to work fine. That is when I noticed the keyboard no longer worked.

I even tried plugging the keyboard into the USB port the dongle was connected to. No luck. The USB mouse works fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Any help would be appreciated!

SCPD

QRT
Perhaps try using the dongle on a USB hub. Maybe your ports are being overloaded and a powered hub might take some of that load off the machine.

If a hub isn't handy or out of $$$ reach (many can be found for under $20), try running just the mouse/key/dongle and unplug the other USB devices (printer, scanner, camera, etc.)

If it works fine then, a hub is likely the solution. If not, I would uninstall the keyboard drivers and reinstall, in case something got corrupted along the way.

I have a feeling the powered hub will fix it though.
I use a "Kensington sd100 Notebook Docking Station" which can be had for about $7 +ship. i.e.
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Notebook-Docking-Station-K33419US/dp/B000QJ7UDU/

Whatever happens, let us know what you do to resolve the issue.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I purchased an AC powered, 4 port USB 2.0 hub...

-Connected my RTL dongle to the powered hub which is now plugged into my PC. Keyboard will still not work
-I plugged up all the USB devices (dongle/key/mouse) to the powered hub & keyboard still not working.
-I unplugged all the other USB devices except my keyboard to my PC and keyboard will still not work.
-Opened the Zadig program, clicked on "USB Multimedia Keyboard (Interface 0)" from my device options,
and hit "Reinstall Driver", which then I am told the driver was installed properly, but keyboard still not functioning.
SDR# seems to still work fine.

If I completely uninstall my SDR# folder, and the keyboard returns to working properly, would that narrow down what the possible problem could be?

SCPD

QRT
I've not heard of selecting the keyboard with zigzag. Perhaps that's something I'm unaware of. My dongle is listed as "Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)"

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
With Zadig open, I click on "Options", then select "List all devices", 5 devices show up....

RTL2838UHIDIR
USB 2.0-CRW
USB Optical Mouse
USB Multimedia Keyboard (Interface 0)
USB Multimedia Keyboard (Interface 1)

Another USB keyboard, from a second PC in my shack, works fine on the PC with SDR#.
The first keyboard that was giving me fits works fine on the other PC as well.
Not sure what happened when I installed the Zadig driver, but at least I have a keyboard now!

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
RTL2838 was the device I chose and then installed the driver. That was when the first keyboard stopped working. The new USB keyboard works and that's good enough for me. :) Now to figure out why the Zadig driver will not install on my 2nd PC. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Perhaps install the zigzag drivers with the USB keyboard disconnected. That of course would mean you'd have to have a PS/2 type or be really good with a mouse. Anyway, glad you got that worked out. Sorry it gave you so much trouble.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I will for sure unplug the USB keyboard next time I install a USB driver. To me, it's the little unintentional mishaps like this that keep this hobby interesting.

kibler

Feed Provider
Why is the "RTL2838UHDIR" showing in Device window?

Hi topgun.....I have same problem as you with the "RTL2838UHIDIR" showing in the Device window instead of the "Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)" as is required by the installation instructions! Not sure what that is, for sure, but appears to have renamed my RTL2832 dongle while in the "zadig" file! My device is from NooElec Inc. and is a Newsky TV28T v2 USB DVB-T & RTL-SDR Receiver #100604! Can anyone out there tell me if I have the correct device to work with?..........or if I do have correct device, can I somehow reset the properties on it? Thanks

Saint

Premium Subscriber
RTL2838UHIDIR

Hi topgun.....I have same problem as you with the "RTL2838UHIDIR" showing in the Device window instead of the "Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0)" as is required by the installation instructions! Not sure what that is, for sure, but appears to have renamed my RTL2832 dongle while in the "zadig" file! My device is from NooElec Inc. and is a Newsky TV28T v2 USB DVB-T & RTL-SDR Receiver #100604! Can anyone out there tell me if I have the correct device to work with?..........or if I do have correct device, can I somehow reset the properties on it? Thanks

I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out the problem, I have the same problem, I installed my nooElec the first time and the Bulk-In, Interface Interface 0 showed up in the list but I had to reinstall everything and now Bulk-In, Interface (Interface 0 does not show up in the list any more. RTL2838UHIDIR shows up now, anyway to get the Bulk-In, Interface Interface 0 to show up again.
Steve

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I just changed one USB keyboard for another, rebooted then SDR# recognized the dongle. Maybe the bad USB keyboard was doing something strange to the port.
I recently upgraded my SDR# file (after not even opening it for months) and now I am getting an error message regarding the zadig driver not being compatable or something like that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with it this weekend.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Info

I just changed one USB keyboard for another, rebooted then SDR# recognized the dongle. Maybe the bad USB keyboard was doing something strange to the port.
I recently upgraded my SDR# file (after not even opening it for months) and now I am getting an error message regarding the zadig driver not being compatable or something like that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with it this weekend.

Thanks for the information, I just gave up on it I am returning the dongle I have tried to set it up on two different computer for 3 days and no luck, again take care.
Steve

ronlagu

Device changed to RTL2838UHIDIR

Had the same problem after a Win7 update. I believe these RTL EEPROMs are modded clones & the update may rewrite the name but they will still operate as a RTL2832.
I removed everything , uninstalled RTL2838UHIDIR device manager.
Run Zadig(latest Version) & select RTL2838UHIDIR or if RTL2832 should magically reappear
Reinstall SDR#

When all through Device Manager still showed it as a RTL2838UHIDIR
but SDR# showed it as a RTL2832 & it worked as before.

Before wiping everything I copied my frequency config data from the SDR# directory Scanner Plugin XML file & then pasted it in the New Plugins XML file so I wouldn't have to re-enter all my Freqs in Scanner Plugin or if yur using the Freq Manager Plugin.

Hope this helps

Flatliner

This mistake is commonly made, to choose the one with "USB receiver" in the Zadig list.

Congratulations on becoming the latest member of the "DOH!" Club. We have quite a few members. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.