SDR for PS and Business

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody recommend what the best SDR is to receive PS P25 7/8 and business UHF/VHF stuff?

I have no desire to receive HF as of right now.

I have nooelec rtl-sdr, but I'm not too satisfied with them. I feel like there's something better.

The rsp1a or 1b?

Only thing I have is I want to use it on Windows and I'd like to use it with SDR++ (since I've been using that program and I know it fairly decent now).

Thank you

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody recommend what the best SDR is to receive PS P25 7/8 and business UHF/VHF stuff?

Only thing I have is I want to use it on Windows and I'd like to use it with SDR++ (since I've been using that program and I know it fairly decent now).

P25 7/8 what? 7/800 mhz conventional channels or trunked systems? If trunked systems, SDR++ does not track trunked systems. You would need SDRTrunk, DSDPlus or Unitrunker depending on what exactly your looking to monitor.

The Sdrplay advertise 10 mhz covering 1kHz to 2GHz without any gaps. The Airspy R2 covers 24 MHz to 1.7 GHz. Good if you have zero interest in anything under 24 MHz. It also advertises 10MHz spectrum. Depending on the system and software being used, its very possible a second dongle may be needed as there are systems that have both 700 and 800 freqs on the sites.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
I use DSD+ Fastlane and DSD-FME for the decoding. I was just wondering what was the best SDR to use with those programs at 7/800MHz and UHF/VHF. It looks like the Sdrplay has better filtering than the RTL-SDR, so therefore it should receive better in a higher noise floor right? I'm in Houston TX, so my noise floor is pretty high.

I would invest in a Sdrplay or any other SDR if it *should* give me better results.